You're Back!

I was abruptly woken out of my deep sleep by a persistent beeping noise. I came to find out that it was my alarm clock going off, I was late.
"Fuuuck," I groaned, rolling over and falling out of bed.
When I pulled myself off of the floor, I slowly made my way downstairs. The smell of eggs and bacon pervaded my house. I inhaled deeply, my mom never cooked like this. She was a more....."hands off" type mom. I made my own breakfast, lunch, dinner, and basically did everything else except birth myself. My older sister, Laina, was more of a mom to me, and I hated it.
We were polar opposites; she was preppy, always happy, energetic and a social butterfly. I, on the other hand, was dorky, suffered from depression and social anxiety (and had to take so much medication for it), and was awkward and shy around other people.
Laina won over the hearts of our peers with her chipper, can-do attitude and her nearly perfect grades (her GPA was a 99). My mom never failed to remind me that Laina was better in almost every single way than me. Almost. There was one thing I was better than her at, and that was singing. I loved singing, but just not in front of people. My mom hears me sing when I change, shower, and basically do anything. She usually treats me terrible and reminds me what a mistake I am (maybe that's why I have depression), but she will tell me that I am great at singing.
Anyways, I smelled bacon and eggs cooking, and expected to see my sister cooking, but what I saw my jaw drop.
"Dad?!" I screamed, I hadn't seen my father in 3 years (per my mothers request, she hated him).
"Xana!" he screamed, dropping the spatula on the floor and running over to pick me up and hug me.
I hugged him as tears ran down my face. I hadn't seen him in years, he had been on tour and even when he tried to contact my family, my mom wouldn't let him see us. She hated that he could provide for us better than she could, and she hated it even worse that he thought I had potential.
You see, my dad was Jake Pitts from Black Veil Brides, and my mother hated that he made more money than her. I say "too damn bad," she had her chance to become a singer and go on tour, but she got hooked on drugs instead.
"I've missed you so much, baby." he told me, setting me down on the ground and wiping my eyes.
"I've missed you too, daddy!!" it was so weird calling him that, I hadn't seen him in such a long time. The only contact I had with him was through secret texts and late night calls.
My mom didn't want me to speak to him. She was such a bitch.
"Listen, I want to take you and Laina back to my house for awhile, get you away from all of this," he said lovingly, stroking my face.
"I would love that,"
He smiled that beautiful grin of his and exhaled.
"I've missed you so much, you don't even understand," he said staring into my eyes.
"I've missed you too dad, honestly, I didn't think you were coming back after...." I trailed off, not wanting to look him in the eyes.
"Listen, what happened between your mom and I should've never affected you the way it had, and I'm so sorry, you don't even know," he said, tears filling up in his eyes.
"I know you're sorry dad. You came back, and that proves so much,"
"I would never leave you here with her," he told me, anger flickered in his eyes "alright, honey, go get changed, we're leaving,"
"Mom knows, right?" I could only imagine what she would say if she woke up from her drunken night and found us gone.
"Yep, and even if she won't let you, I've got papers from the court to make her let you go," he said confidently.
I smiled and hugged him before running off to get changed and pack a suit case.
I threw every thing of mine hastily into a duffel bag. I didn't have much(so all my clothes fit into one bag), mom rarely bought me new clothes. She spent her money on beer and stuff for Laina. Laina had all the nicest clothes, most expensive shoes, everything. I got a couple shirts a year, and had the same black converse since 6th grade, the most expensive article of clothing I had was my precious Doc Marten's. But, she did keep food in our stomachs and a roof over our heads, so I was grateful for that.
I must've dosed off because the next thing I new I felt a sharp pain in my ribs.
"Get up! Your father's waiting!" my mother was screaming at me, towering over me.
"Owww," I wailed, pain coursed through my body.
"Oh, you're fine! Stop your bitching and get up!" she said, grabbing me by my hair and pulling me up.
"Let goooo!!!" I screamed, crying.
I heard heavy foot-steps running up my stairs.
"Let my daughter go, you bitch!" my father shouted, lunging at my mother.
"Oh, so now you decide to step in as a father, huh Jake?" she said. God, she reeked of booze and B.O. I hated that woman, and still do.
She's made my life a living hell, and I'm glad that was the last time I ever had to see her.
My father ripped me out of her arms and cradled me like a baby.
"Shhh, it's ok. Don't cry, daddy's here," he said soothingly. His smooth voice helped me through the pain.
"Does it hurt when I touch here?" he said, poking my ribs.
I giggled, it actually tickled.
"No, not anymore," thank god my ribs weren't broken. She had kicked me so hard.
He faintly smiled and turned to my mom.
"You're never seeing these girls again, got it?!"
My mother just rolled her eyes.
"You think I give a shit?" she said.
He scoffed at her and stood up. He grabbed my duffle bag and walked out of my room, calling for me over his shoulder.
My mother gave me a dirty look and stormed out of my room.
I grabbed a drawstring bag and threw some other small items in it, them grabbed my old stuffed Pikachu and my Star Wars blanket, along with my pillow and a few other things.
"All set?" my dad asked.
"Yep, I'm ready to go," I said, ready to leave this hell-hole.
"Alright, I'm not bringing you guys back here, ever. I'll send for your things soon," he told me.
I breathed a sigh of relief.
"Thank god,"
He grinned at me and kissed my forehead.
"I didn't know it was that bad here, Xana. If I had known, I wouldn't have waited this long to come back," he told me, looking me straight in the eyes, letting me know that his apology was sincere.
"It's ok dad, I love you," I said as I hugged him.
"I love you too," he replied, kissing the top of my head.
"Guyss! Let's go!" my sister bellowed from the porch.
She was clad in a bright pink v-neck from Aeropostale and short denim shorts. Her blonde, wavy hair flowing down her back. I was dressed completely opposite. I wore an oversized black sweater that read "Muggle" on the front in white print, along with black leggings and galaxy print Doc Marten's. The only similarities were our hair length; it flowed long down our backs.
My dad grinned and opened the drivers side door, letting himself in. Laina ran and jumped in the front, plopping down next to our father. He looked slightly annoyed at her. I climbed in the back and started looking through my instagram feed.
"So," my dad said, turning around to look at me and them my sister, "Where should we go?"
I was stunned. Shouldn't he have a plan?
"Ooo let's go to Myrtel Beach!" Laina squealed.
My dad just gave her a dumbfounded look and shook his head. Then looked at me for more suggestions. I shrugged.
"How about we just drive until we get someplace we like?" he suggested
"But daaaaad," Laina whined. God, for such a brilliant girl she sure acted like a five year old.
"Hey!" he snapped "if you're going to act like this you can go back inside,"
Laina scowled and slouched against the seat. I rolled my eyes at her childish behavior. Our dad had been home for less than 2 hours and already she was acting like a brat?
When we pulled out of the drive way, my dad started to try and catch up on things with us.
"So....how has school been?" He asked, tapping his thumbs on the steering wheel to the beat of a song playing on the radio.
"Great!" Laina said. She continued to ramble on about her perfect grades, perfect friends, perfect life, I wanted to gag. My dad merely grinned at her and said "that's great, honey". But of course, my sister didn't realize that he didn't care.
"How about you, Xana? I haven't heard much out of you," he said.
There wasn't much to say, I couldn't follow up my sister. No one could.
"Ugh, she doesn't do anything. And her grades suck," Laina said resentfully. What the hell was wrong with her?
I blushed furiously and looked down. I was so embarrassed, my father probably thought I was such an idiot.
"Why don't you let Xana speak for herself, Elaine. And if I hear another word out of you for the next hour then I'm taking your phone for the rest of the trip, got it?" he fumed at her.
Laina hated being called by her full name, she said it was ugly. She scoffed and sank into her seat.
"Now, Xana, please tell me how school is,"
"W-well, I....uh, I maintain a C average in m-most of my....uh...classes. Except for chorus and, um, orchestra," I nervously told him, not taking my eyes off of my shoes.
"And what's your average in orchestra and chorus?" he asked
"Well....um, I have 100s in both of them,"
"That's because all you have to do is show up! God, you're so stupid!" Laina shouted at me.
I felt my face get red, and my stomach turn. She knew I couldn't handle this stress, why was she doing this to me?
"Elaine Marie Pitts! Shut your goddamn mouth before I shut it for you!" he yelled at her, ripping her phone from her hands.
"Hey! Give that back!" she cried, reaching for her phone.
My dad slid it into his pocket.
"You'll get this back at the end of the trip. And when we get back to my house you're grounded," he said angrily.
I had never seen him so angry before, I liked it. Normally, mom would've hit me for making Laina upset. But now, the tables were turned.
"I hate you!" she cried "You abandon us for 3 years and then swoop in and take us away, acting like some kind of hero. Well you're not, I don't even consider you my father any more!"
"Go tell your sob story to someone else, sweetheart. I'm doing what your mother wanted," he said furiously.
"What does that mean?" Laina asked incredulously.
"It means....well, she wanted me to take you guys away," he said, suddenly his facial expressions turned from rage into pity.
"She....she didn't want us anymore?" Laina asked, a horrified look on her face.
"Laina, I'm sorry...."he said sincerely, rubbing her arm.
"Not your fault," she told him, closing her eyes and exhaling deeply "Sorry, dad," she told him.
"It's ok honey. Now, I think you owe your sister an apology,"
Laina looked back at me and sighed.
"Sorry," she mumbled.
"Like you mean it," he told her, his voice sounded as if he were talking to a 5 year old.
"Don't push it," she snapped, glaring at him.
He chuckled and looked at the road.
I closed my eyes and tried to fall asleep. When I eventually did, it felt so good. I usually stayed up late, trying to finish my homework. You see, it wasn't that I was a bad kid in school, I just couldn't focus and my mind would always wander. My teachers thought it was ADD and they told my mom that I might need medication, but she refused.
"The fucking kook is already on two different types of medication, I can't afford to buy her any more," she had said. I can still hear the hate in her voice as she said that. She really didn't like me, and I REALLY didn't like her.
Thinking about that made me subconsciously think of my mother, and therefore caused me to have a nightmare.
---------------Jake's P.O.V-------------
Laina was driving me nuts, she wouldn't shut up about how perfect she was, and what was worse was how she treated Xana. Poor kid was so sweet, I just wanted to wrap her in my arms and hold her forever. She'd been that way since she was a little girl, always so polite and sweet, so timid, too. Learning from the courts that she had social anxiety and depression made me want to hold her even tighter. Laina, on the other hand, had been a little brat since she was little. Her mother called it being cute, I called it being a little shit.
"Laina, you're wearin' me out, doll," I told her, exhausted by her rambling.
"Well what else am I suppose to do?" she complained "We've been driving for forever!"
"Sleep. Take a nap, the time will go by faster," I told her, she replied with an "ugh" as she rolled over and looked out the window.
Peace and quiet, I thought to myself.
I looked in the rear-view mirror to check on Xana, she had been extremely quiet. I saw that she was sleeping and smiled to myself. What a good kid. I looked away for a moment and focused on my driving, then looked back at Xana. I saw her begin to stir and quietly whimper.
"No, please," she mumbled.
Fuck, I thought, she must be having a nightmare.
"Xana, you ok?"
She jumped in her seat and gasped.
"Huh? Wha-yeah, yeah. I'm fine," she replied quickly.
"Ok, it looked like you were having a nightmare," I told her.
She blushed and said "Oh, it's nothing. I, um, get them a lot, actually," she confessed, I wondered why.
"Oh..." I said.
"It's because she's a freak, if you were wondering," Laina said.
I had had enough with her.
"Listen, Laina. I will give you two options; one: you shut your mouth for the rest of the trip. Or two: I take your precious phone and smash it into little pieces. I am sick and tired of your mouth! Now keep quiet! You have no right to talk to your sister like that!" I yelled at her, I was furious. She had done nothing but torment her sister this entire car ride.
"Whatever, you don't have the balls to break my phone anyways," she said to me.
"Oh really?" I said, I took this as a challenge.
I pulled over the car and stopped the engine.
"You wouldn't," she fumed at me.
I smirked and exited the car. I walked to the front and placed her phone under the front wheel of the car. Then, I slowly walked back to the driver's side door and sat down.
I looked at Laina and said: "The choice is yours,"
"Fine, you win," she said with a scowl.
"I always do," I said, leaving the car to retrieve her iPhone.
I slid it back into my pocket and continued driving. I glance at Xana through the rear-view mirror, she was lightly chuckling at the events that had just taken place. I smiled and focused on the road. I could tell this would be a long trip.