Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen

"We've got to go!" Rick yells from inside the diner making me physically cringe at how loud he is being, I look down from the roof to see a small group of walkers gathering outside the walls.

"We ain't going no where, you can't just walk in here and take charge like theirs nothing more to it, I got these people here alive not you," Kenny yells and I shake my head, if they don't quiet down soon these walkers will be a much bigger problem.

"They've been at it since they woke up, I think if they don't kill each other, the others will nobody else down their looks to happy," A voice says and I turn and see Carl and smile slightly.

"Hopefully it won't come down to that," I say and he nods walking over and sitting beside me, our feet dangling off the roof.

"Yeah," He says simply before a crash comes from down the stairs and we both rise to our feet quickly

  "Please say they just dropped something," I mumble as we both run down the stairs to the diner and Carl simply nods as he pushes open the door and we practically fall in to the diner.

"Well look what you've done now asshole," Kenny snarls gesturing to the smashed window, where Rick stands next to it, holding a chair. "This place already had enough problems you just had to go make a new one,"

"Dad are you alright?" Carl asks and Rick simply nods before turning back to Kenny.

"We can't stay here!" He yells and Kenny chuckles.

"And we should all listen to you, the guy who just put a god damn chair through a window,"

"Kenny," I warn grabbing his arm but he shakes me off.

"You won't survive if you stay here," Rick yells turning towards the others do you really want to stay and most shake their heads not meeting Kenny's eye.

"Well then . . . I see where the rest of you stand," He say before walking through to the kitchen, slamming the door behind him.

"I didn't mean to hurt his feelings, I just thought this place was meant to be permanent," Sarita says and I nod.

"I'll go talk to him," I say before I walk into the kitchen to find kicking one of the walls. "Kenny stop!"

"Course, they send the kid in to talk sense into the old man," He says turning to face me. "You think I'm right through Clem?"

"Kenny . . . This place isn't safe for anyone it was good for the last few months but it eventually will become a problem," I say and he shakes his head.

"Every better is either taken or only a solution for a bit Clem, take their prison for example that place was a fortress but they lost it cause someone else wanted it," Kenny says and I manage a small smile.

"Kenny I think theirs a reason no one wants this place," I smile looking a one of the many blood stains on the ground making Kenny chuckle.

"Thank you Clem, not just for this but for always keeping a levelled head you never lose it like the rest of us, by the looks of it sometimes I think you should be in charge," He chuckles and I just smile as we walk back in to the main part of the diner.

"Have you made a decision?" Rick ask staring a Kenny his eyes emotionless.

"Yeah but if I'm coming you better remember your not in charge of all of us I got people here who are my responsibility," He says briefly looking back at me, Sarita and AJ smiling lightly.

"I can do that," Rick says and surprisingly he smiles as well. "Have you seen anyplace around here that was a bit more liveable?"

"Well if your asking, when we were on the run yesterday we came across this creepy old building, real big, well defended with fences, found a sign had a dumb name something like the 'Sunflower Orphanage'  didn't have time to get up close but overall the place looked pretty abandoned," Kenny says.