Prologue

Prologue

I sit on the ground playing a board game with Sarah as Nick and Pete burst through the door, locking it behind them.

"Guys, what's wrong?" Luke asks, walking over to them as they shake their heads, breathing heavily.

"A hell of a lot of walkers," Pete gasps, peeking out of the window and sighing.
"What happened out there?" Rebecca asks, rocking AJ back and forewards as he sleeps peacefully in her arms, oblivious to approaching walkers.

"We ran into a bit of trouble, it decided to follow us home," Nick says and I hear the tell tale moans come from outside. I stand up and walk over to the window peering out and seeing hundreds of walkers.

"What can we do?" Carlos questions, pacing backwards and forewards.

"Can we wait for them to pass?" Rebecca suggests but Nick shakes his head eyes wild with fear.

"A herd like this will tear the house down," He says loading his gun, preparing himself. "We gotta go,"

"Where will we go?" Alvin presses and Pete shakes his head sighing.

"All I know is we got to get the hell away from here," He says, staring out the window again, each time getting more and more panicked.

"How will we get out, we step out side we'll be torn apart," Luke snaps and Nick sighs, closing his eyes for a moment before answering. "I'll go out, try and lead them away,"
"Man you can't do that, it's suicide," Luke protests grabbing on to Nicks shoulders, trying to shake some sense into him.

"This will give you guys a chance, I'll circle back, meet you guys at the river," Nick insists and Luke nods, defeated, knowing it's the only way any of us are going to escape.

"What about Rebecca, she can't run she just gave birth to AJ less then a week ago!" Alvin protests wrapping his arms around Rebecca who just sighs closing her eyes, as if she just wanted to escape it all even if it was only for a few seconds.

Luke is silent for a moment before answering. "Clem and Sarah will take AJ straight after Nick leaves, we'll cover them from the house."

"No I won't do it, I'm not going to send my daughter out there into that death trap," Carlos protests, pulling Sarah back into him protectively in a way that makes me miss my dad even more.

"This way she'll have a fighting chance, you'll be with her again in less than a hour," Luke says and Carlos sighs knowing he is right.

"What about you Clem you up for it?" Luke says and I force a smile.

"Let's do it," I say and he chuckles lightly but it is empty and sounds forced.
"Grab your stuff and be ready to run like hell," Nick says. I nod before running to the room I shared with Sarah and grab my backpack, double checking that I still have my picture of Lee and my drawing of Kenny's family.

I light knock comes from behind the door and Luke peeks in.
"Hey Clem," He says and I smile as he sits down next to me.

"Hey,"

"I noticed you had those pictures of your friends you lost and I managed to gather a couple photos just in case one of us doesn't make it," He says before pressing a bundle of photos into my hand. I hug him tightly.

"Thank you," I whisper and he smiles.

"You ready to run?" He asks and I manage a half smile.

"Always," I say and he nods.

"Let's go," Luke says before we walk down the stairs to find everyone standing ready to leave.

Rebecca pulls me into a teary hug. "Look after AJ okay?" She whispers and I nod before Carlos pats my shoulder.
"Keep my little girl safe until I'm there," He says and I nod as he smiles slightly, the moans coming from outside making it difficult for a full smile.