Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

I stroke back Wednesday light blonde hair gently tucking a lock behind her ear, as she lets out a small whimper. She started crying to herself as soon as we all went to bed, I've been sitting with her most of that time but at least her sobs have died down to her silent whimpers.

"My mums dead, she's gone, just gone," She cries as I lightly brush a tear off her face.

"It's going to be okay Wednesday," I say and she looks right up at me her green eye watery with tears.

"That's what she said before she died, that's what everyone says and it never is," She whispers. "You won't leave me, right?"

"Right," I say but I can't help hesitating for a moment, these days that's pretty big promise. "Now try and go to sleep, I'm going to go check on Kenny and Sarita,"

I begin to walk out of the cell block but as I do I look in at Colin, Wednesday's dad who lies asleep behind the locked cell door. When we brought the pair back it started a small riot. Rick argued that we couldn't trust them and that we can't feed another mouth right now but soon have up deciding we could talk about it in the morning but Colin must stay locked up till then. While this went on Colin sat their blanked face not even trying to defend himself just letting everything abrupt around him.

I slowly creep in to Kenny and Sarita's cell block being careful not to wake anyone up. I knock on the cell door and wait but receive no reply, I wait another moment before entering. I look around their cell to find it stripped bare of their belongings, not even their bags remain. I look on the cell bed to see a note that simply reads 'Sorry' empty of any explanation.

I walk out the cell to hear hushed whispering coming from the supply cell and I look and can't help smile out of relief when i see Kenny and Sarita.

"What are you . . ." I begin before noticing them stuffing their bags with supply's, as I speak they look up shocked to see me.

"God dammit Clem this isn't what it looks like," Kenny says his eyes pleading me to keep quiet.

"I looks like your taking all our supplies," I accuse and he simply sighs.

"It only what we found on the run, I swear," Sarita says but I still shake my head.

Kenny reaches out towards me and on instinct I put my hand on the gun causing him to back away.

"Come on Clem you know I'm not a bad guy, if you just let me explain . . ."

"Then explain," I demand and he nods looking at Sarita for a moment.

"Alright Clem, me and Sarita we ran into some bad people couple months back, people here are calling the man the Governor," Kenny says and I breath deeply. "Guessing that means you've heard about him?"

"Yes,"

"We ran into the 'Governor' and his brother a guy called Carver, at what looked like the ideal safe heaven but only thing it wasn't," Kenny says before sighing. "This place didn't want you to leave once you enter that was it, so when we did he caught us and was all prepared to kill us until one of his henchmen with a dumb name something like Earl or something said 'we should use them to get to the prison,"

"And?" I ask and Kenny shakes his head.

"So the Governor said help him or he'll kill us so we helped, he sent us here to sabotage the group make it easy for him to come here and take the place,"

"Why did you help him, why not run the second he let you go?" I ask.

"Clementine they took my sister Haley said that if we didn't do what they asked they'd kill her instead," Sarita says tears in her eyes and Kenny puts a hand on her shoulder.

"But when we came here and I saw you I knew we couldn't go through with it, so we planned to leave go to Woodbury get Haley and never come back try and lead them away from here,"

"Why didn't you tell me, I could've . . . " I begin before Kenny cuts me off.

"No Clem I couldn't do that put that weight on a kids shoulders, Lee asked me to look after you and if I gotta lie to you to keep you safe that's exactly what I'll do,"

"So this is how you look after me leave me here while you run off to never return?!"

"Clementine we have to if I want to keep you and Haley safe,"

"Then I'm coming with you,"

"Clem no . . ."

"I am, like you said we're all a family now and family doesn't leave each other behind, right?" I ask looking him right in the eye.

"Right," He says smiling slightly. "You better go get a AJ then not one of us is being left behind,"

"Alright," I say turning to go get AJ."Promise you won't leave without me?"

"Promise,"

I walk back into the main cell heading over to AJ and Judith's shared crib.

"Come on AJ," I whisper putting my finger to my lips as I pick him up being careful not to knock Judith.

"We're all going on a big adventure okay, all of us me, you, Kenny and Sarita," I whisper slinging the bag with his things over my bag before a voice stops me.

"What are you doing?"

"Nothing," I say quickly, turning to face Carl.

"Then why have got all those supplies?" He ask before frowning."Your leaving?"

"It's not like that . . ."

"You can't leave its not safe," He insist trying to pull the bag away from me.

"It's not just me and AJ, Kenny and Sarita are coming too," I say and he stops.

"Why it's safe here,"

"I know but he have to leave if we want to keep you all safe," I say and he shakes his head.

"Why?"
"I don't have enough time to explain, you just have to trust me," I say and he nods.

"I just need to get my backpack," I mumble leaning into my cell grabbing my backpack before looking up at Wednesday briefly and my hat which lies tight on her head. "Oh,"

"What is it?" Carl asks as I come out the cell and I shake my head.

"It's nothing just Wednesday still has my hat and I don't want to wake her," I say and he is silent for a moment before taking his hat off and handing it to me.

"You can have mine," He say and I smile lightly putting it on.

"Thanks," I whisper before hugging him quickly smiling sheepishly.

"And now you have to come back eventually so we can trade back," He says and I smile.

  "Just tell Wednesday I'm sorry for leaving," I say and he nods as I begin to walk away. "Bye Carl,"

"Bye Clem,"

QOTD
Clem and AJ or Carl and Judith?