Ch. 2

I walked through the recreation center doors, the cool air welcoming me while I look for Jason. I couldn't find him so I decided to give up and head to the cafeteria for dinner.
Walking to the cafeteria, I bumped into a hard chest. I shut my eyes, waiting for the impact of the ground, but it never came. I opened my eyes to see Jason, his hands on my waist steadying me.

"Woah there." He said, a country accent coming through.

I never noticed that before now.

"Oh, thanks. I'm such a clumsy person." I said, steadying myself so that he could take his hands off of my waist.

"Nah, it's fine. I'm Jason, you're in my group, right?" He questioned, making me practically drool over his southern accent.

"Yeah, I'm Aspyn." I answered shyly.

"Well. It's very nice to meet you Aspyn. My name may be Jason, but my friends call me Jay. You can call me Jay." He said, holding his hand out.

I shook his hand, thinking about my brother Jay. He must have noticed the drop in my mood and gave me a light smile.

A very beautiful light smile.

"I'd rather not. It makes me think of someone I once knew." I said, scratching the back of my head awkwardly.

"Oh that's fine. I understand." He said, turning to walk towards the cafeteria.

I stood there for a second until he stopped.

"You coming?" He asked, looking back at me.

"Oh, yeah." I answered.

When we reached the cafeteria I realized that most of the camp wasn't in there. They had already eaten and were in the recreation building for karaoke.

"Wow, I really can't be on time for anything." I said to myself.

"Nah, me either." Jason said, walking closely beside me.

I laughed, walking faster when he dodged off and I was by myself.

I grabbed a sandwich and an apple, and headed towards a wooden picnic table in the corner of the room. There was no one sitting there, so I decided to sit by myself.

That was a fail since right when I sat down Jason was next to me.

"Didn't think you'd get rid of me that easy." He said, winking at me before eating a bite of some soup.

I frowned, realizing that I was going to be here for the rest of the summer, and maybe longer.

My parents told me that if they didn't think my attitude had changed by the time summer was over I would join one of their schooling programs to finish my high school education in the fall.

Which would put me behind.

Like majorly.

"Whatcha thinking about Aspyn?" Jason asked, nudging my shoulder.

"Nothing." I lied, which was pretty obvious.

"Oh come on, you can't come up with a better lie than nothing?" He said, laughing when I smiled.