Chapter 1

The sun rose brightly over the horizon, birds began to chirp, and the morning dew sat out on the grass like a gift waiting to be opened. Marinette opened her eyes slowly. She yawned heavily, stretching out her muscles. Slinking out of bed, she stared dreamily out the window of her cottage. Today was just another day and she had a lot of things to get done.

Hurriedly, Marinette put on her work clothes which consisted of a frilly blue blouse, a brown and pink dress, and a red bonnet to finish off the look. She quickly slipped on her shoes. First order of business: gather water from the nearby river.

She ate a slice of bread and then grabbed her bucket, rushing out the front door swiftly. The morning air greeted her with a gentle breeze and she inhaled deeply. The scent of pine trees and baked bread filled her nostrils. In other words, the smells of home.

"Marinette!" a voice called out, interrupting her thoughts. Stunned, she looked to her right and saw her best friend, Alya Cesaire, walking up to her. She also had her work attire on. She worked as a waitress at the town pub. Marinette worked there in the afternoons as a bread baker.

"Yeah?" Marinette said to her friend.

"Do you think you could come in early today? Business is unexpectedly booming," Alya said with an frown.

"Yeah, of course," Marinette nodded. "Let me just put my bucket away."

Marinette jogged over to her cottage and set her bucket down outside the door. She rejoined her friend and together they headed to the pub.

Outside, a long line of people were awaiting service. Marinette gasped at the sight of the wealthy looking people. She could tell that they lived near the castle, where life was easier. "Why are the upper class in our village?" she asked curiously.

Alya shrugged. "I don't know. Maybe the King is paying a visit?"

"Maybe," Marinette sighed. She then jerked in pain as an elbow dug into her spleen. She looked over and was face to face with an angry looking man in a formal suit.

"Stupid peasant girl," he growled distastefully. "Don't you ever touch me again."

Marinette stood in silence and watched the man push himself to the front of the line. Alya groaned. "What a rude pig. That's what all the money in the world does to a person. Just imagine how the King acts." Alya started walking away, leaving Marinette to ponder.

The villagers had only ever seen the King in person once. He looked very unhappy which was understandable since his wife had died, but Marinette hated him nonetheless. He had sent his guards to wrongfully execute Marinette's father about a year after her mom had died from a deadly virus. A few months ago, the village experienced a soar in taxes and Marinette's dad fell behind. They had ran a bakery but were forced to close it down when they couldn't keep up. The day that the taxes were late, the King's guards showed up and took her father away to have him hung. Marinette didn't even get to say goodbye.

Marinette blinked and followed Alya to the back room. She tied on an apron and got to work. She began stirring the ingredients for the bread in a large. Eventually, the dough was formed and she began forming it into a pan. Finally, she slipped the bread pan into the oven. Then she repeated the process. Over and over again.

Exhausted, Marinette provided the last batch of bread and took a breather. The pub had never had so many customers before. Marinette wondered why this was for a brief second, but then the answer was provided for her.