Chapter 14

I walked over to Blue and there were men standing around her and she did not like their company.

"Get away from her otherwise you'll end up like them geezers over there. Now move!" I shouted. When it came to my raptors I stopped at nothing to make sure they didn't get hurt. I slowly stroked Blue and she didn't fuss at all.
"Hey baby, listen I'm not gonna let anyone hurt you. Your safe with me sweetie." I gave her a kiss on the side of her face.

"How many more people have to die before this mission starts to make sense to you?" Hoskins asked.
"It's not a mission. It's a field test." Barry walked over and said.

"This is an iNGen situation now. Okay, there are gonna be cruise ships that show up here at first light. Everybody's gonna get off this island. You're gonna watch a news story tomorrow about how you all saved lives. No, better yet, how your animals saved lives."

"They're not some stupid experiment they are alive. Treat them like it!" I shouted as I walked across to comfort the other Raptors. My dad just glared at Hoskins then turned to Barry.

"They've never been out of containment. It's crazy." Barry spoke.
"Let's move it out!" Hoskins shouted to some workers. "This is happening! With or without you." I raced over to my dad after stroking the Raptors and glared at Hoskins who started to walk away.
"Dad?" I looked up at him.
"Yeah?"

"Great punch." His faced turned from a frown to a big smile.
"Thanks Char."
"See I learn from the best." We both chuckled.
-
"We know that she is in sector five. This is a game we call hide-and-seek. It's a scent drill. We've done it about a thousand times with these animals." My dad spoke to the men who were joining this 'mission'.

"When they get on target, and they will get in target. Wait to engage. Velociraptors are pack hunters. They like to herd the animal into a kill zone. That's when we take our shot. Get a clear shot, wait on my command, and give her everything you got. We got one good target, gentlemen. Do not shoot my Raptors. Please."
-
We got back outside from the little meeting and my dad went to spend some time with the Raptors and I went with him. He walked straight up to Blue who started to growl softly.

"Easy Blue. Easy." He spoke softly putting his hands on her head and stroking her slightly. "Attagirl. You don't scare me."

"Dad of course she don't. For goodness sake." I chuckled as I stroked Delta.

"Owen." Gray said from behind us and Zach was there with him and he gave me a small smile.

"Are they safe?" He asked as we walked up to them.
"No, they're not."

"What are their names?" Zach asked even though I told him this morning.
"Well you got Charlie." My dad spoke.
"The youngest one." I filled in.
"There's Echo." My dad pointed.
"The one with the permanent sneer."
"Here is Delta."
"She has bird-like movements."
"And this ones called Blue. She's the Beta."

"My dad's favourite." I smiled at him.
"Who's the Alpha?" Gray asked.
"You're looking at him, kid." Zach and Gray just smiled.

"Don't flatter yourself too much, you do that to often." I smiled.

"Just cause I have muscles." He started to flex his muscles.
"Shut up, your so embarrassing." I said and walked over to Charlie.
"Zach, Gray. Come over here." I heard Claire's voice. My dad stood next to me.

"I want you to go in there with them." He said.
"No way. No way."
"You need to be safe." He looked worried. "I nearly lost you today and I'm not going to lose you again."
"You had someone to keep your mind off of me, it's not like you care that much." I started to get frustrated because I wanted to be with the Raptors.

"Hey. You know it's not like that. It was one kiss, don't hold a grudge."
"Well, I don't care I'm coming whether you like it or not. I've lost mum and you decided to serve in the Navy and I thought I was gonna lose you, if you die on this so called mission at least I'll get to say goodbye." A small tear rolled down my face.

"I would never leave you."
"Then let me come."
"Okay. Fine. But you do exactly as I say okay?" I nodded.

"Give me a minute." I raced to the truck that Zach and Grady were seated in and Claire was holding the doors.
"You joining the boys in here?" She asked.

"No, I'm going with my dad." I replied.
"Be careful, yeah?" She smiled and gave me a hug.

"Yeah of course." I hugged her back and Zach and Gray got up behind us to hug me. Gray was first and gave me a huge hug.

"Don't get killed." He smiled and sat back down. Zach approached me with sorrow in his eyes. He just stared at me then coughed awkwardly.

"Char, promise me you'll be careful because I honestly don't want to lose you. In all honesty from the first moment I met you I thought you were beautiful. You are the best thing in my life at the moment and I really don't want you to get hurt. Promise me you'll take care of your dad and yourself. In all honesty I love you Charlene." He slipped his hands into my and then smashed his lips onto mine.

I gasped because I didn't know what to think but then I relaxed and kissed him back. I know this is going to sound really cliché but I honestly felt butterflies in my stomach. He we broke from the kiss I just stared into his beautiful brown eyes.

"I promise." I gave him one last peck on the lips and walked off to my dad. My dad just raised an eyebrow at me and smiled slightly.