Chapter 9

Owen's POV
As we turned the corner of the hills we found a fatally injured Apatosaurus. I stopped just near it and quickly glanced a look at Claire.

"Stay in the car." I said and hopped out. I slowly approached the Apatosaurus with a gun in my hand just incase the I.Rex jumped out of no where.

The poor Apatosaurus had 5 huge claw marks running down one side of its body and one deep cut on its neck. I kneeled beside its head as it groaned and slowly stroked its head so it knew it was safe.

"Hi. Hi." I said softly. I heard the car door shut and I watched Claire approach the dinosaur, there was terror in her eyes and she finally saw what a monster she had created.

I lowered my head to its head as it groaned in pain.

"I know, I know." The skin of the dinosaur was so different from the raptors, it was a hard, bumpy type of skin.

This creature did not deserve to die, in all honesty these dinosaurs shouldn't of been created at all. "Shh. It's all right." I said as calmly as I could.

Claire approached the dinosaur slowly and sat on the opposite side. She had sorrow in her eyes and kneeled down to comfort the poor animal.

"All right, girl." I was so glad Charlene wasn't here to witness this, she would hate it.

She would want the Apatosaurus to put out of its misery. She would want it to be in a better place, where it belongs.

Dinosaurs don't belong here, we've destroyed nature. This shouldn't of happened.

Claire put her hand on its head and gave it a small stroke, we always thought she never cared for these animals, but deep down I believe she does.

The Apatosaurus panicked a little and lifted its head up which made Claire jumped back a bit.

"Okay. Okay, okay. Your okay." I said and took the dinosaurs head and rested it back onto the floor. Claire put her hand back onto the dinosaur so it knew that she cared.

I was finding it so difficult not to cry but I had to stay strong for Claire and for the team. The Apatosaurus closed it eyes took its last couple of breaths then stopped breathing all together.

I saw a small tear rolled down Claire's face a land on the floor. This proved to me that she really did care for the animals well being and not just money.

I got up, picked up my gun and walked towards the edge of the hill. Claire joined my side and I stood and watched the horror right in front of my eyes.

Five beautiful animals all dead because of a monster that science created, the bodies of innocent creatures lied there motionless. Not a single living creature, the I-Rex is a monster taking away lives for no reason.

Humans and animals.

I swear if it's hurt my daughter I will go to the ends of the earth to kill it if I have too.

"It didn't eat them." Claire gasped beside me. She finally knew the truth. "It's killing for sport." I couldn't take the sight no more so we got into the car and drove into the valley.
-
The Gyrosphere was in full view and was smashed to pieces. Bits of glass and metal lay on the floor and blood... I went to inspect the Gyrosphere and found one of the I-Rex's teeth stuck in the metal.

I grabbed my knife out of my pocket and used it to wedge out the tooth. It was atleast 6 inches long. Claire started to breath heavily and panicked when she found a phone on the floor.

"No, no, no." She started to sob and it was a little annoying, only because there were footprints in the mud.

"Hey. They made it out." I spoke and pointed to the footprints that she didn't see. She sighed and we followed the footprints which led us to a waterfall.
"Oh, my God, they jumped." Claire started breathing heavily again.

"Brave kids." Charlene would not of chickened out of jumping. She loves adrenaline.

"Zach! Gray!" Claire started shouting.
"Shh!" I started to shush her otherwise she would get us both killed.

"Hey, I am not one of your damn animals." She got really frustrated.
"Listen, those kids are still alive, but you and I will not be if you continue to scream like that." She looked like she was getting fed up.

"So... You can pick up their scent, can't you? Track their footprints?" Is she stupid. Pick up their scent. I'm not a raptor for crying out loud.

"I was with the Navy, not the Navajo."
"So then what should we do? What do you suggest we do?" She was getting right on my nerves now.

"You get back. I'll find them."
"No, we'll find them." I could not put up with her any longer.

"You'll last two minutes in there. Less, in those ridiculous shoes." She took off her belt and did up her top in a knot, then rolled up her sleeves and put her arms on her hips.

"What is that supposed to mean?" I asked her, why are women so difficult?
"It means I'm ready to go."

"Okay. Let's get one thing straight. I'm in charge out here. You do everything I say, exactly as I say it." I could not afford her wasting my time.
"Excuse me?"

"Just relax. It's just like taking a stroll through the woods. 65 million years ago." She sighed and walked on, I looked down and noticed the I-Rex's foot print.