Chapter Sixteen.

“I am a fighter and I ain't gonna stop. There is no turning back, I've had enough.” Christina Aguilera, Fighter.

“I can’t stay; I need to get back to my pack.” I told Miller. “Those hunters nearly succeeded in wiping out the only heir to the Alcaeus Aatu Clan; they just signed the death warrant of every single hunter I can get my hands on.” I said menacingly as I stood in front of Miller.

“That’s mass genocide; are you sure that you’re ready for the repercussions?” He asked unfolding his arms. “I wouldn’t rush headlong into this; train yourself and your warriors, call in your allies. However, first you will have to hold your father’s funeral as a sign of respect; alphas will pour in from across the world and some will challenge you for alpha of your pack. No one will dispute your bloodline and claim but many just won’t care; this is their opportunity to expand their pack, gain notoriety and a shifter mate. You may have to fight to the death as they won’t bow out graciously when defeated; that means that you’ll gain pack member who probably won’t like you and may try to overthrow you.”

I snorted and shook my head. “It’s because I’m a girl. Miller,” I said bracing my hands on his desk and grinning darkly down at him. “I will kill anyone who tries to challenge me; I’m sick of being underestimated and belittled by cocky men. I am the last of the Knight linage and the most suitable one to become alpha of my father’s pack; I’ll happily kill anyone who gets in my way and when I’m done no one will ever question me again.”

He nodded but he looked slightly worried. “I’m not trying to demean you; but are you sure that you know the inner workings of the pack and how to manage it? It’ll be a huge job with a pack as big as yours and although you have many people around you who are willing to help, the lives of hundreds of wolves will be in your hands.”

I nodded grimly. “I know; no one knows this but ever since I was eight I would sit in the room adjacent to my dad’s office and listen through an air vent to everything he said and did, at night sometimes I’d sneak into his office and read his files and journal to understand what was happening. I think I knew better than anyone what was happening and how to fix it; but no one realised that and they’d tell me to go back to the kitchen or go sew with some of the other woman or try on clothes. When I wanted to train with the men I was laughed out of the grounds and the only way I learnt how to fight was because of Hunter and one friend who I blackmailed into teaching me what everyone else was learning.” I let it all out in a rush of over a decade’s frustration.

His eyes widened and then a laugh leaked out of his lips. “You’re very determined my dear; you’ve got more initiative than most alpha heirs, and are a much harder worker. I won’t detain you but Jenna, you’re going to have to work for the love and respect of your pack members and fight for the acceptance of the alphas and any packs you may gain from the challengers.”  

I nodded and stood, grunting when I felt my back ache; I was extremely sore from the fight yesterday and they’d dug the silver slug in my back out and sewed up the ones on my stomach and thigh as silver slowed down healing. I now had four more scars to add to my growing collection as silver always scared.

We drove to the plane strip once again and blood was everywhere, though the bodies had been cleared away death lingered in the air.

“Thank you for the hospitality you’ve bestowed upon myself and my two guards.” I said to Miller, shaking his hand.

He laughed and dragged me into a hug. “Call me when you touch down; I’ll be down for the funeral and I want you to know that I will support your claim no matter what; you’ve proven yourself to me.”