13: Bag of Tricks

Sadness is defined as the condition or quality of being sad, but I have a different definition. There are too many definitions of sadness to narrow it down to just one. Sadness is like a weight that weighs down on your heart; preventing you from feeling anything real. Sadness is the entity that keeps me from getting the love I deserve. I grew up believing I wasn't good enough and it's been embedded in my mind ever since. I play the role well though huh? I got my fans fooled. They think I got it all! The niggas, the money, the attention, and the fame. Joke's on them because all I have is myself and my bittersweet addiction.

Today is the day of a very important audition for me. CoverGirl called me and asked me did I want to audition to be the face of a new lipstick and foundation line they have coming out soon.This goes to show that I can go further than music videos and photo shoots. I want to do more with my craft and eventually I'll be comfortable to follow my dreams.

I stared at myself in the full body mirror. I smoothed down the sides of my outfit and inhaled a deep breath. 

"You like beautiful," Brendon came up behind me and kissed my cheek softly making me blush.

I sighed, "Thank you, Brenny. I just I don't know. What if they don't like me?" I frowned as the negative possibilities flooded my mind all at once.

My mood is so up and down nowadays. One minute, I'm feeling myself and the next I just want to crawl in a dark hole and be left alone. Entertaining other people is such a full time job, I swear. I mean how can I make another person happy when I can't even make myself happy.

"Then that's their loss. You're beautiful, Mia. Stop letting people tell you otherwise," he replies.

I bit down in my bottom lip, "I don't understand how I got so lucky. I hope you don't have ill intentions, I really do," I said. 

"Look, I ain't no punk ass nigga. If I wasn't feelin' you shorty, you would know it by now. Ion' fuck wit a lot of these broads cause they scandalous, but something about you keeps me here. I ain't goin' nowhere unless you want me too, ma."

I smiled softly, "How did I get so lucky? I know we got together, but you make me feel like I'm actually something special." 

"That's my job, baby," he replied with a wide toothed grin.

I pulled up to the location where the audition is being held and killed my engine. I inhaled a deep breath trying to gather my nerves. 

"You got this, Mia. You're Mia Parson and Mia Parson can do anything!" I coached myself through my rear view mirror.

I stepped out of the car, letting my Louboutin pumps hit the asphalt as I placed my Prada shades over my eyes. I strutted into the building wit confidence coursing through my veins. 

"Mia Parson, here for the CoverGirl audition," I told the lady that stood before me. 

She smiled, "We've been expecting you, Miss Parson," she exclaimed.

I grinned, "Let's get it poppin' then!" 

After they did my makeup and hair, the rest was a wrap. The audition lasted about three hours and consisted of taking photos of me and getting my head shots. I got the cover as soon I walked in. They just wanted to be sure I was the right girl for the job.

As I walked out of the building to my car, I dialed Ramone's number. I know we aren't on the best of terms, but it didn't matter right now. I have to tell somebody the news.

"Mone, guess what?!" I shouted as soon as he picked up.

"What is it?"

"I got it! I got the CoverGirl gig! I did it!" I grinned widely as I started my car engine.

"OH MY GOD, ARE YOU FUCKING WITH ME MIA?! YOU BETTER NOT BE FUCKING WITH ME RIGHT NOW!"

"Nope, dead serious. We have to go celebrate! Tell Rocki ass I'm not mad anymore. Get dressed cause we going the fuck out tonight!" I beamed cheerfully.

Ramone laughed, "Bitch, you can't stay mad at us for long anyways  and vice versa. She's right here. We finna' come over around nine so we can get dressed at your house!" he said.

"Aight, hit me up when you outside. Bye!" I said before hanging up the phone.

Beyonce's Kitty Kat blared through my car speaker as I drove home. My phone rang, interrupting my jam session. I groaned before accepting the call.

"Mia," a crying person sobbed into the phone.

I scrunched my nose up, "Um, who is this?"

"It's Malea," she cried.

I rolled my eyes, "Malea, I don't want to hear your apologies. I'm done with you so lose my number please," I snapped.

"Mia, please. I have something to tell you. I'm so sorry," she cried.

"Bitch, am I Dr. Phil? No, didn't think so. Get off my phone witchur' sad, mad ass."

"Dominic gave my HIV," she blurted out.

"Okay? Fuck you want me to do? That's your problem. You wanted to sleep with his dirty dick ass!" I snapped as I chuckled silently in my head.

"He's had it for two years, Mia." 

That statement wiped the smirk right off of my face. 

"You wanna repeat that?" 

"Dominic has had HIV for two years, which means you may have it too," she repeated.

I swear to God, in this moment, my mind went completely blank. I can't describe the feeling, but everything that I know just flew out the window. I couldn't focus on the world around me. All I can think is HIV. I could have HIV.

Not paying attention to the red light ahead, I kept driving. In one swift motion, the SUV that was coming from the opposite direction smashed into my car. 

Then everything went black.

Sorry for the wait, loves. School is crazy plus I'm working. I have a day off so I wanted to get this out. Excuse mistakes.

A lot is going on in this chapter and I have more drama for y'all. Y'all ain't even ready. 

Comment your thoughts and vote!