4: Petty Threats

"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer."

I've learned something while working in this industry. Things are either good for you and bad for you. There's no in between and that's the problem. When things are good, they're great. When things are bad, they're horrible. Why is this? I ask myself everyday.

I just want some stability in my life and I mean all aspects. I make good money, but my head is fucked up. Growing up with insecurities was hard especially with my mother breathing down my neck criticizing everything I did. When my father died, that's when I changed. I stopped giving a fuck. If my mother taught me anything; she taught me that blood isn't always thicker than water. My mother betrayed me in ways unimaginable. She was never there. She never comforted me when the kids at school bullied me mercilessly. One event in particular still hasn't left my mind. That day is the day I realized that resented my mother to a point of no return. No amount of counseling or money could change it. She's an evil, vindictive witch and she's shaped me into this spiteful individual. I hate her for that.

"Mia, get on the damn scale," Mother snapped angrily.

Reluctantly, I stepped on one of the many scales she had planted around our home. It said 110 lbs. I bowed my head; only because I knew what was next.

"One hundred and ten pounds? What the hell have you been eating, Mia? Have you been listening to anything I've said?! These men don't want a fat bitch! I refuse to let you carry on and gain all of this weight. You're already growing taller and taller, I don't want to be fat too! Shit, you'd be lucky if anyone wants you now!" she ranted mercilessly.

"Sorry mother. I'll do better," I say quietly with my head bowed. Stray, salty tears slid down my face as I felt my heart shatter while my mom degraded my figure. I found myself wondering again why she can't just love me for who I am. That's all I've ever wanted.

"That's not enough. Go to the bathroom!" she ordered shoving me forward.

"B-but I don't have to use the bathroom, mother," I stuttered.

She chuckled sarcastically, "Don't play stupid, Mia. Get in there and get rid of those pounds! You know what the fuck to do!" she snarled with fire and anger in her eyes.

I vomited everything that I ate yesterday and my school lunch that I had today which wasn't much.

Mother smiled, "That's my girl. Get up and take a shower. You smell terrible," she scrunched her nose up and walked out of the bathroom.

When she was out of sight, I slid down the door and bawled my eyes off. Twelve years old and my mother treats me like this. I can only imagine what's it going to be like once I get older. I got my daddy though. He doesn't know the full degree because I just can't hurt him like that. He loves mother and I don't want to be responsible for their downfall. Mother would make my life a living hell. Only thing I can do is pray hard for better days and work hard so I don't have to ask her for anything when I get older.

I cleared my throat as I wiped the tears that stained my cheeks. I felt so embarrassed that day. I felt worthless and that was only the beginning. The beginning of the pain and the beginning of the inesurities that seemed to take over my peace of mind.

I got up off of my bed and grabbed the box that I kept in the back of my underwear drawer. The box held my most prized possessions. My locket that had my daddy's picture and the one and only thing that could relieve the constant ache in my heart.

The small baggie stared back at me as I contemplated on whether I wanted to get high today. Ramone says I'm addicted, but everyone has an addiction. Period.

My phone rang snapping me of my thoughts.

"Ugh, who the hell is this?" I muttered to no one in particular.

"Hello!" I answered rudely.

"Damn, bitch. Fuck is your problem?" Malea snapped back.

I rolled my eyes, "Nun, I'm just a lil' tired. What you want, Lea?" I asked.

"Well I wanted to see if you wanted to do this video shoot with me today. I know it's last minute, but your boo is going to be there," she replied.

"And who is my boo? Last time I checked I'm single. These niggas ain't worth my time or my paycheck!"

She sucked her teeth, "Bitch, you know who I'm talking about! Dominic, he says he won't let me be lead unless I get you to give him another chance. C'mon girl, you know I need the money!"

"Bye Malea! I'm done with Dominic. He ain't shit and never will be. All he wanna do is use me cause he think he made me. Fuck that, like I said he ain't worth my paycheck!"

She groaned, "Oh my God, Mia. Please?! I need the money real bad. You know Dylan lost his job so I gotta pay this rent!" she pleaded.

Quite frankly, she was getting on my nerves. I know she's not going to leave me alone until I give in though. I hate that about her.

"Whatever, Malea. I ain't staying for long cause that nigga gonna get too comfortable thinking he own me and shit. I ain't with that no more! You need to leave Dylan's ass too. He ain't doing nun, but using you. All he wanna do is smoke weed and lay on his ass."

"Bitch, you on that shit too. Don't come for mine!" she fired back defensively.

"Aight, you know what. I was about to help your rude ass, but fuck it and fuck you!" I hung up the phone angrily.

I'm getting tired of her ass. She always worrying about what the fuck I'm doing when she need to step the cookies up. Fuck wrong with her? She needs me to eat and that's what she fails to realize.

Just like I predicted, not even ten minutes later, she called back apologizing and pleading me to come tomorrow.

"Malea, you know everything I went through with him," I rolled my eyes, "Why would you want to put me back in that situation?"

"Girl, it's not even like that. I gotta make sure me and my man got food on the table!"

"Bitch, you're selfish and stupid. Listen to what the fuck you just said. Your nigga is the one who should be out here hustling not the other way around," I said.

She sucked her teeth, "Mia, why you gotta do that? You always doing this fuck ass shit, but you know it's fine. I won't bother you no more. I'll see you when I see you," she said with an attitude before hanging up.

I shrugged. I may have been a little harsh, but oh well. She only thinks about herself and I'm tired of that shit. Her ass might just cut off soon fucking with me. My patience is running thin with her.

Just when I thought the bullshit was over for the day, my phone rang again. Not even bothering to see who it was I accepted the call ready to curse out whoever.

"Bitch, didn't I just -"

I cut off by a familiar voice that I never wanted to hear again.

"Damn, baby. Who pissed you off?" Dominic's deep, husky voice spoke through the phone.

"Bye Dominic. I'm not your fuckin' baby," I snapped.

"Yeah aight. Don't forget who the fuck made you are!" he retorted.

"You ain't do a motherfucking thing for me, nigga. Know that shit!"

He chuckled in a sinister tone, "Oh yeah? Bitch, you forgetting I know every thing about your ass there is to know. Fuck wit' me if you want to. You better show up at my shoot tomorrow at three on the dot or it's gon' be a problem. Don't fuck wit' me, Mia. You know what I'm capable of," he snarled before hanging up the phone.

That bitch set me up.

Already had this written, I just finished it up. I thought I lost it, but I found it.

Comment your thoughts and vote please :)

I won't set a goal, but I'm not updating until I get a decent amount.

Peace and blessings!