Loyalties

“Gavin! What are you doing there?” Cassius snapped in shock, his features sour. Charlotte’s heart sprang to her throat as Cassius looked at her menacingly. She opened her mouth to speak.

“I-“She stopped, letting out a little gasp. That was not her voice. This voice was too deep and much too gruff to be her own. Cassius’ eyes narrowed suspiciously.
“Gavin had wanted to come find one of them himself. He was sulking before because he hadn’t caught his own yet.” Cedric said suddenly, staring at her slightly wide eyed. He said it so matter-of-factly, even though he was one of ‘them’ himself.

“Always been too stubborn, Gavin. Idiot, you are.” Cassius hissed, his mouth curling distastefully. Charlotte thought quickly, trying to improvise.
“You find all of them.” She said grudgingly, still not entirely sure what they were talking about.

“Don’t let your jealousy in the way, Gavin. Pasqual has no time for damaged recruits. Next time, you might have to be held back from the scout.” She tried her best to look outraged, swinging up a hand in protest.

“No!” Her eyes fluttered to her hand in shock. It was sun browned and meaty, several dark hairs covering the knuckles and backhand.
“Then get yourself together.” Cassius said coldly, his black eyes flicking back to Cedric.

“As for you, I do not know what game you’re playing, but if I sense anything strange, I will drag you by your ears back to Pasqual.” He’d lifted his finger for emphasis, and Charlotte noticed something odd. As the cloak sleeve pulled back from his hand, she noticed several silver embellishments along his forearm, like thick shield bracelets, the sort men would wear to battle.

Her own new and beefy arm had the same silver attire. It reminded her of the poles at the arena, the ones she’d seen at Cedric’s battle. Were they some sort of repellent? A magic stunner? She noticed something else, something that made her stomach drop. She could not feel her magic. Even when she was not healing, it was always there, like a sleeping lion in her mind. Now, it was gone. Vanished. Her heart sped up as she mulled this over.

“Well? Come on, you oaf. We have to return back to the showcase grounds. Quincy will come back with the others after. Pasqual will be eager to meet the new recruits.” Cassius spat, turning around and gesturing for her to follow. Cedric did not look at her once as he followed Cassius. She realised all too soon where they were going. She could not run, and she could not take the ring off. How long would this disguise last? The worst part was that, whether temporarily, or for good, her ability had disappeared.  ~*~

“Will? What happened?” Yvette croaked as her eyes fluttered open. The town was still in chaos, as she lay crumpled on the ground. Will slid his arms underneath her, gently lifting her up.
“It’s alright, love. Lottie escaped.” He said tenderly, kissing her forehead almost reverently. There was a forming bruise on her cheek, but she seemed fully alert now. Her eyes gazed over his shoulder wildly.

“Will.” She choked, jutting her chin in the direction behind him. He turned to see Quincy staring charmingly down at Henrietta Plume. The girl’s head was lifted proudly, her face flushed and excited.
“Oh, Lord.” Yvette whispered. William slowly helped Yvette up, just enough so she could lean on one of the chairs. And then he started towards the girl, the trouble maker. His heart seemed to clench as she opened her mouth, to no doubt pour out the truth. A hand suddenly snaked around his upper arm and he spun in surprise to see Edgar Plume. The man’s face was hard and cold.

“You are to go nowhere near my daughter, Mr Ferris.” His eyes flashed, and his grip was so iron tight, Will could scarcely feel the blood circulating.
“You have no idea what plans she has for my own daughter-“
“Charlotte Plimwore is not your daughter, Mr Ferris. She is an anomaly, and a mundane man such as yourself could not be related to such a child.” His words were so full of cold hate that Will was momentarily startled.  He’d never seen Edgar Plume lose control of his emotions. Will tried to pull away, but Edgar’s hand stayed steady.

“The best thing you can do now is to move on with your life.” His voice was like the lash of a whip.
“You there!” Will’s head snapped up at the voice. Quincy Lupus was looking at him intently, Henrietta by his side, a triumphant and savage grin on her face. Quincy came forward, the girl trailing after him like an eager pup.

“William Ferris, isn’t it?” Quincy was a rather strange looking individual. His eyes were a deep violet colour, his hat tall and shimmering, a hint of curly dark hair peeking out from beneath it. As he smiled, wide, spaced teeth peeped at him.  
“What do you want?” Will spat, finally managing to shake off Edgar’s arm.
“I want to know where your step child is.”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” Will’s voice had dropped low, his face stony and blank.
“Shame, that is. I really do hate liars, Mr Ferris. I suppose we’ll have to get the truth of her whereabouts by other means, then.”
“Will!” Quincy’s strange eyes flicked to Yvette, who was just getting out of her chair shakily.

“Chadwick.” Quincy said expectantly. A cloaked man stepped out from behind him and started hungrily towards Yvette. Will started forward in outrage, but was restrained by another unseen cloaked guard. He thrashed, but it did no good. He’d always been a strong man, but perhaps these men were stronger. Yvette was lashing out, not making progress.

“Doing things a more difficult way will only take longer, and I’m not a patient man. Now be a good lad and tell me the truth.” He was half a head shorter then Will, but had a way of making himself look opposing. People begun to crowd now, too afraid to step in.
“I am. I don’t know why you’re looking for Charlotte, but I can assure you, she’s done nothing wrong.” Will said evenly, staring him right in the eye.

Something flashed in Quincy’s face and he stepped forward and sharply brought something from his hand-a cane. It whipped across Will’s cheek, and his head snapped sideways, pain lashing out along the whole lower half of his face as blood bloomed on his skin and filled his mouth. Yvette’s scream filled the sudden silent night.

“This is for the greater good, it is. No one wants mutants filling the town. The only use for them is at our show. Charlotte Plimwore will be a fantastic new asset, she will.” His smile was smug. Will felt anger heat up his veins and he thrashed once again.
“Tell me.”
“In hell, you bastard.” The end of the cane jutted forward, just on one of Will’s lower ribs. He let out a howl as an audible crack sounded. His slouched forward, his only support the man who restrained him.

“Leave him alone! Please!” Yvette shrieked frantically. Quincy poked at the same spot again, causing another cry of pain.
“Whether you tell us or not, we will find her. Now you decide, Mr Ferris-we can do this in a cleaner matter, and all’s well. Or, lives can be lost. Whichever way, it doesn’t bother me one bit. The town was warned before and they can be warned again-anyone who shelters a mutant and wants to hide one will be dealt with.” No one said a word. He sighed.

“Well-let’s see. Let's test where your loyalties lie. Who do you care about more? The Plimwore mutant, or your own wife?” Then Quincy signalled something with a flick of the wrist, and Chadwick’s hand flicked out, silver flashing as he brought a dagger to rest in line with Yvette. Henrietta had lost the savage smile as she stared at her. The whole town was hushed.

Will barely had the strength to move, and yet he could not take his eyes off of what was about to happen, his heart thudding roughly in his ears. He was at an impasse-saying anything would effectively trap Charlotte.

Not saying anything would kill his wife. His eyes met Yvette’s, who was staring determinedly ahead. She gazed at him hard, her lips in a tight, pale line. She shook her head as much as she could manage, her face grave.
“Don’t say a word, Will. Don’t say a word.” Quincy shared a look with Chadwick. That's when the dagger came rushing forward, straight for Yvette's chest. ~*~