Meeting.

Something was going on. That was the first thing Charlotte knew two days after the fox incident. She could not bring herself to tell Yvette or Will about it, but the incident had been playing on her mind since.

And now, in town, she’d begun to notice something odd. The four respected families that made up the council never usually had meetings. Only, today, it was all the town could talk about.

Gossip went around, about what the meeting could be about, and why on earth it would take two days. That only made the townspeople wonder more-if the families were still busy at council meetings after days, it must be a grave issue.

But Charlotte did not spare much thought to it-her mind was too riled up with the fox issue. Only, as she was looking at the soft materials outside Old Margaret’s sewing store to distract herself, a murmur caught her attention.

“Last time they had a meeting that went on this long, it was for an execution.” She looked up sharply, at an old woman who was whispering to the lady next to her as she hunched over the muslin garments.

“But do they not have to present their findings to a higher power before that’s allowed?” Charlotte blurted. The old woman who’d spoken looked at her sharply. The one next to her replied after a thoughtful pause.

“Usually. God knows what they’re meeting about this time.” Charlotte simply nodded; slightly surprised anyone had acknowledged her. The other woman who had ignored her seemed to be annoyed by this, and muttered something as she walked by.

“Maybe they’re discussing what to do with the mutants hiding in the town.” Charlotte’s head snapped up automatically at the harsh words, but the older woman did not look back as she passed. The other one, who had spoken to her gave her a slightly sympathetic look, surprising Charlotte further.

“Don’t mind her. She’s getting on with age.” She explained. A small smile curled Charlotte’s lips. This lady was younger than the other, with soft dark hair and kind brown eyes. She had slight wrinkles around her eyes and mouth-laughter lines. There was something about her that made Charlotte feel at ease, but she couldn’t put her finger on it.

“Most are like that to me.” Charlotte explained, shrugging slightly. The woman smiled.

“Many are close-minded. I am Katya. I know your step mother, Yvette. Very kind woman. She speaks well of you.” 

Charlotte warmed slightly to Katya at the mention of Yvette.

“A nice change.” She said dryly. Katya smiled slightly.

“Don’t mind the old croons. They know of your story, not you.” Charlotte was not used to the kindness.

“I…thank you.”

“No need.” Katya smiled warmly once more before nodding and walking away. Charlotte was momentarily stunned. Perhaps there was positive change ahead for her after all.    *

“I’m sorry, Mr Plume. I just do not think it is in our best interest to present this forward to the nobles and his majesty himself. There is no point travelling all that way into the kingdom to present such…futile evidence.

Besides, the Plimwore girl needs a chance to speak.” Mr Edwardson said across the table to Mr Plume. Mr Plume, Rupert Edwardson, Wesley Hencelot and Henry Robertson each represented the four head families.

And now, it was three against one. Mr Plume rubbed at his temples, wondering to himself why on earth he had listened to his daughter when she had come running as a witness.

She sat next to him now, holding her tongue. She’d relayed her story two days ago. Since then, the men had debated on what actions should be taken. And now, the verdict.