Interview

The annual Aberthy festival was supposed to be held in just four days, starting Wednesday evening and ending the night of Friday. After arriving home yesterday, Charlotte had already started making the banners with Yvette, though she didn’t speak with her much.

Now, Charlotte rolled up the sleeves of her dress and spread out the long flag-like banner she had worked hard on last night. It had been a fantastic distraction, and she’d stayed up much too late finishing it, grounding the powders for the colour and adding egg yolk all night until she had gotten the correct pigment for the lettering.

She hadn’t been able to sleep anyhow. In towering red brown letters, ABERTHY FOLK FESTIVAL stared back at her. She would have to tell Will to go on a trip to the town bridge, that bridge that led to the entry of Aberthy’s main square. He’d have to get some of the men and set up the banner.

She didn’t particularly want to speak to Yvette or Will, but she knew it had to be done sometime. So, when she was wrist deep in red oils and mixture, it wasn’t exactly a good time for a knock to come at the door. She sighed, knowing she would have to get it seeing as Yvette had left early to go help some of the townspeople with their own pre-festival decorations.

She slowly stood up, and opened the door using her elbow so as not to get it dirty. Rupert Edwardson was at the door, flanked by Henry Robertson and Wesley Hencelot. A jolt of cautious surprise went through Charlotte. These were three of the men who were a part of the ruling families. Why were they here?

That must have meant the meeting the town was talking of yesterday was finally over. Rupert’s eyes widened slightly at her russet coloured hands and she quickly hid them behind her back, an embarrassed flush coming over her skin.

“Sir? What brings you here? If it’s for William or Yvette, they’re not here right now.” She said politely, a terrible feeling growing in her stomach. Rupert recovered himself and smiled charmingly, his blonde hair slicked back.

“We’re not here for Mr and Mrs Ferris, Miss Plimwore. We are here for you.” Everything seemed to click into place for Charlotte all of a sudden. Her paranoia had not been ridiculous after all. She was sure now, positive, that the meeting had been about her. The rude old woman’s words from yesterday ran through her mind. ‘Maybe they’re discussing what to do with the mutants hiding in the town.’

Little did she know how accurate she had been. Charlotte swallowed, and resisted the urge to shut the door and take for the hills.

“Is that so? May I ask what for?” She said stiffly, feeling cold all over. Henry stepped forward, subtly angling his foot slightly so it stood inside the threshold, to stop the door from shutting.

"Just a chat. Will you care to invite us in?” Charlotte wanted to refuse. It would be terribly rude, to refuse such high respected men, but she desperately wanted to. Instead, she opened the door wider.

“Come in. Forgive me-it’s quite a mess.” She said, gesturing to the banner and paint mixtures by the fire.

“Helping with decorations I see.” Wesley said absent-mindedly, seating himself on one of the stools. The others followed suite, and after a moments hesitating, Charlotte sat on one across from them.

“Can I offer you a drink gentleman?” They all murmured polite no’s. Silence weighed down on her, and she tried not to squirm.

“I need to ask you a few questions, Miss Plimwore. You see, over the past couple of days, we’ve received some rather disturbing news from a very distraught witness.” Rupert’s eyes were slightly narrowed, and Charlotte felt as though she was being rocked, her stomach flipping and her mind whirling.