Trial

“Lottie? Lottie!”
“Charlotte sweetheart, please wake up.” The soft pleading voice roused Charlotte from the realm of dreams. She gasped softly, her eyes springing open. For one blissful moment, she had no idea what was going on. Then reality settled down on her and she felt her face begin to crumple all over again.

“Oh, darling, here.” Yvette gently pulled her up and pressed her in a gentle hug, not seeming to care that one side of her face was covered in crusted paint oils. Charlotte looked down in remorse at the ruined banner.

“So you’ve heard?” Charlotte croaked, managing to keep the tears at bay, not meeting their eyes.
“I left as soon as I did, and brought Yvette.” Will said, leaning down to smile softly at her.
“Look at me Lottie.” He said quietly, his voice almost desperate. Slowly she looked up.

“Is it dark yet? We’ll have to be going soon.” She murmured, feeling numb.
“Soon. We’ll need to get you cleaned up first, make yourself presentable.” Yvette said, squeezing her shoulders comfortingly.

“It won’t matter, Yvette. I’m going to be sent away.” Charlotte’s voice was steady; emotionless. She’d cried out all of her pain. There was none left.
“We’re going to take care of it.” Will said surely, staring her hard in the eyes.
“What will you do?” Charlotte’s voice had risen slightly.

“Don’t you worry. But it’s all taken care of, Lottie. You’ll be safe.” A small seed of hope had planted itself in Charlotte’s chest. No wonder they were both so calm. They must have some sort of plan. She took a deep breath, leaning away from Yvette and supporting herself.
“It’s time to get ready.”    ~*~

Yvette and Will’s words had calmed Charlotte, but when it was time to leave, her heart was like a frantic bird, in a fluttering dance along with her stomach. Yvette had carefully slicked Charlotte’s hair back into a low twist, a few curls escaping to frame her face.

For some reason, they insisted she simply go along normally, as though they knew something she did not. Charlotte wore a delicate blue grey kirtle gown; one that Yvette said made her look especially petite. She had to look innocent. Once William had emerged in his tunic, it was time to go.

“Take Arwen.” He insisted, leading the horse from the stall. Charlotte’s throat became thick all of a sudden at the sight of the horse. She ran her hand along its flank lovingly. When Yvette and Will came to get their horses, she cleared her throat, wanting to say something.

“Yvette…William. I-I need to say something. Before we leave.” Yvette stopped, her eyes big.
“What is it?”
“In case…In case something does happen tonight, something that is not supposed to-don’t come after me. I don’t want you going down with me-“
“None of that, Lottie!” Yvette cried.

“Please, let me finish. You know how it works, Yvette. If you follow me out, you’ll be shunned-even put to trial yourself. Life will be much too hard. So I want you to know how grateful I am. Thank you both for being the only ones who ever cared.” She swallowed away the thickness in her throat.

“And…I-I’m proud to call you my mother. You really are, Yvette. And you, Will-you’re my father. I love you both so dearly. I need you to know that.” Will said nothing-his eyes were swimming, however. Yvette came forward, and gently took Charlotte by the shoulders.

“You’re not leaving us, Lottie. It’ll be okay.” She didn’t cry, but her eyes were deeply sad, more devastating than any tears. Charlotte nodded, just to make Yvette happy.
“I believe you.” The lie, for once, was easy to say.     ~*~