Prologue

Prologue

***

I was never like them, like the others. I didn't choose the life that was forced upon me, yet they had. I never had a choice as my autonomy was taken away from me before I really understood what it meant. I knew I had to forget the concepts of whether what I was doing was right or wrong, for the sake of my own sanity and mental well-being. Instead I focused only on what I had been ordered to do, what I was obeyed to do, and above all else, what I had been trained for - to kill. 

So instead I promised I'd do anything that would satisfy their hunger for destruction, I did whatever it took to make it for my next meal. This meant doing things that would come to haunt me for the rest of my life, doing things that no young child or person should ever have to bare the responsibility for. 

In this life I knew I had to be careful not to show emotion, other than the desire and urge to kill for them by my own hand. I had to prove I was not weak, I had to show that they would not break me. I had to hold on, no matter how hard they tried to damage my spirit. I promised I'd never cry again, and instead, the only tears I dealt with were those of my numerous victims; victims whose cries, whose pleads still rung true through my mind like an echo that would cease to silence.  They cried as they begged, hoping I would not take away their lives - their last breath. But their plea's and their passionate cries were pointless. I couldn't help them, not anymore.

But even with the murders I had caused, the amount of dead that fell by my feet, the curses that came from my hand were still only known by few. Only few knew of my existence and knew what I had been trained into, what monster I had become by their very own making. 

I remember the instance my life changed into what it was now, the moment my child-like innocence was stolen from me. It was the day of my first kill, a moment I remembered as clear as day. The memory still felt so vivid to me now, as if it had happened only yesterday, but it happened six years ago when I was nine.

***