[39] Positive

~*~*~*~*~Cory's POV~*~*~*~*~

Chapter Thirty-nine

"I like you," Lily gulped.

            The words rang in my ears and for some unknown reason, my stomach started to knot.  I didn't know what to say... I didn't know how to reply.  I never thought I'd see the day where those words came out of Lily's mouth and she meant it.  After finally composing my thoughts I commented, "Then why are you dating Jake?  If I like you and you like me... what the hell are we doing?"

            Lily looked down at her lap for a while and I waited patiently for a reply.  "We're playing it safe," she concluded.

            "What do you mean?" I asked.

            "Well... we have a child on the way... and say we got together then broke up.  Imagine how much that would stuff up the child.  Imagine how much it would be hurt."

            "Does that mean we have to toss aside our feelings for each other just because you assume we wouldn't make it?"

            Lily shrugged.  "I don't really know.  But would it ever be a good idea?  Cory, we're complete opposites.  I'm a smart girl, I've got so much ahead of me, everything is planned out."

            "And what?  I'm just some dumbass jerk who has no feelings and doesn't wonder where they will end up?"

            "I didn't mean it like that," Lily mumbled.

            Taking a deep breath I calmly said, "Just because it doesn't seem like I don't have my future mapped out doesn't mean I don't want the best out of my life.  You opened me up to that perspective.  I can never thank you enough.  I don't know where we both will end up in ten years from now, but right now I know I want to be with you."

            "But then there is Jake," she whispered.

            I nodded calmly again.  "Lily, promise me something."

            "Okay."

            "Promise me that you'll seriously think about which of us you want.  But don't leave me waiting forever... because one day I'll be gone."

            Lily nodded.  "Of course."

            "Promise?"

            "I promise."

            I smirked and held out my pinkie. 

            "Really, Cory?  A childish pinkie promise?" Lily scoffed with a roll of her eyes.

            "Hey, you can't break a pinkie promise.  It's the shit legit."

            Lily giggled.  "You're so much like Jojo sometimes."

            "I know."

            She slipped her tiny pinkie around mine and shook.