5| road trips and backstabbing

3rd POV

3rd POV

"Thanks for coming, Ric. You need something to drink?Coffee?" Damon smirked, as he offered the next drink. "Bourbon, bourbon in your coffee."

Ric ignored him, walking to the couch where Elena, Stefan, and Cassie were gathered.

"Elena mentioned you needed my help." Ric sighed, sitting down next to Cassie, across from Stefan and Elena.

"Yeah. We were hoping you could help shed some light on the Lockwood family." Stefan stated. They needed all the information they could get — after the other night seeing a fight break out and Mason Lockwood proved that he wasn't just an average human, but something supernatural.

As Ric told everybody the little information he knew on hand, Cassie was lost in thought. She felt a little off since her argument with Damon and the situation with Katherine wasn't helping either. She wondered if there was any reason to stay in Mystic Falls after all. 

Cassie zoned back into the conversation when Damon handed her a glass of bourbon. She looked up at him, giving him a tight lipped smile. A small gesture to show she wasn't mad anymore.

"Isobel's research, from when you guys were at Duke together –"

Cassie cut Elena off, "Wait, who's Isobel?"

"Ric's dead - not dead wife, and Elena's biological mom." Damon answered, shortly.

"You said she had spent years researching this town." Stefan added.

"Isobel's research here - Mystic Falls - was rooted in folklore and legend, at the time I thought most of which was fiction." Ric explained.  

"Like that amazing vampire story." Damon exclaimed, sarcasm dripping with every word.

"Aside from the vampires what else?" Cassie questioned, nudging Damon to shut up.

"The lycanthrope."

Cassie raised her eyebrows, "as in werewolves?"

"No way. Impossible." Damon denied, throwing his hands in the air.

"But is it Damon? We're vampires, witches are real, why not werewolves?" Cassie shrugged, "You act like it's far-fetched."

"I've been on this planet 160-some odd years, I've never came across one." Damon shook his head in disbelief, "If werewolves exist where the hell are they?"

"Well, why do you suspect the Lockwoods?" Ric questioned.

"Because vervain didn't affect Mayor Lockwood on founders day, but the Gilbert device did and it effected his son Tyler," Damon explained. "And at the school carnival his uncle Mason exhibited inhuman behaviour when he fought one of the carnival workers. He went all spider-monkey."