4| the carnival

3rd POV

Caroline groan as she woke up on her hospital bed. Her whole body ached, it felt like she got hit by a truck. Her head felt on fire and her ears wouldn't stop ringing. Once she shook the haziness away, she remembered Elena — so she thought it was Elena, came to visit her late last night, before killing her.

Caroline pushed herself to get out of the comfort of her bed and slowly made her way out of the room. The halls were empty beside a woman behind the desk.

"Excuse me? Where is everyone?"

  "It's the middle of the night, hon."

Caroline looked around the hospital again before she speaking, "Oh... Uh, have you seen my mom?"

"She left after dinner with your boyfriend — then your friend, Elena, stopped by." The lady responding, now giving her full attention.

Caroline's eyes widen. So it wasn't a dream, she thought. "She did? Yeah she did. But she said her name was Katherine.."

Caroline sighed when the lady didn't respond. "Can I get something to eat?"

"Breakfast comes around 7:00."

"But I'm hungry."Caroline argued, she felt like she hadn't eaten in weeks even though it wasn't true. She had dinner last night. "Please, I'm starving."

The lady took a deep breath before getting out of her chair and ushered Caroline back into her room. "Listen, breakfast is only a few hours away. Just get some sleep."

Caroline stood there in her room when she noticed a blood bag not to far away. She didn't know why she noticed it or why she couldn't help herself from walking over to it. But before she could even process her next actions, she already was ripping a hole in the pouch and drinking it.

______

Elena woke up this morning to her surprise feeling great and optimistic. She was ready to get things back to normal — which is why she told Caroline that while she was recovering, Elena would plan the carnival.

She walked down the hallway, a clipboard in one hand, her pen in the other. She was looking for Jeremy to confirm that he did is part in helping out. She spotted him at his locker talking to Stefan.

"Hey Elena." Stefan greeted her with a smile as she approached the two.

"Hey, uh, do you have–"

Jeremy cut Elena off, waving his hand in dismal. "Yeah, yeah, I set up the goldfish toss. All 300 goldfish. It's gonna be epic." Jeremy replied, walking away.

"He's gonna be all right... He's been through a little bit of an ordeal." Stefan sighed, noticing how offended Elena was.

Elena simply nodded, before she seen Cassie walking to her locker, "I'll see you later, Stefan."

Stefan nodded giving her a kiss on the cheek before walking away. Elena walked to Cassie,

"Good morning, Cassie." Elena smiled, practically radiating good vibes.

Cassie laughed while opening her locker, "Someone is chirpy today."

"So, I was wondering were you going to the carnival?" Elena got straight to the point. "I mean, we could use all the help we could get. I'd really appreciate it. Plus, you'll have so much fun."

Cassie shook her head, "A school carnival?"

Elena tilted her head smiling as she rolled her eyes. "Cas c'mon it's not that bad plus I'm helping setting it up."