The Bat Cave

“Where are we?” I asked softly.

                Silence surrounded us as we walked down the empty road. He hadn’t let me see where we were going the entire time.

                The masked man may have had super strength, but he lacked super speed. He had forced me onto the back of a motorcycle, giving me a helmet that had blacked-out the visor. Having never been on a bike myself, I was in for a surprise at the force of it once it started. Much to my discontent, I found myself clinging onto my driver. My thighs pressed against him tightly. Having not worn a good choice in clothing, I found myself freezing the entire way as well.

                He pulled over after what felt like ten minutes, helping me off. The masked man tucked his bike away and led me down a road.

                Small buildings lined both sides.

                The darkness made it hard for me to see my surroundings. I continually brushed my hand against the man just to reassure myself that he was there. His green stripe on his back shone brightly in the moonlight compared to the darkness of his suit.

                The buildings had begun to thin out slightly as we walked. More distance was put up in between structures the farther along.

                “You don’t recognize it?”

                “I can barely see my surroundings.”

                “Well let me give you a little idea of where we are.” He said, “This is usually a very busy place in the day time.”

                I stopped my place, thinking for a minute. “Are we walking on the highway right now?” I glanced both ways, my ears perking up for a sound of a car coming.

                He chuckled, tugging on my elbow gently to keep me moving, “Why would you stop in the middle of a highway even if we were? Do you see any street lights?”

                I faltered, “No…”

                “We’re on a back road. You’re fine.”

                “Can we get off the roads? I don’t really like walking on them at night considering we’re dressed so darkly.”

                He only chuckled.

                The masked man led me down the road for a bit longer. In the distance, I could hear a few cars drive by. The darkness masked most of my vision. I knew that my pupils were dilated, searching frantically for as much of the moonlight as they could get. 

                Finally, he put an arm out, stopping me in my place.

                “Are we here?” I asked softly.

                He gave no response. His fingers curled around my wrist, the rough fabric rubbing uncomfortably against my skin. The masked man gave a small tug on my wrist before he led me off to the left.

                “Watch your step.”

                I stubbed my toe into a raised portion of the road. A cuss word escaped my lips quietly as my toe sharply stung from the pain. He chuckled under his breath, guiding me up the raised portion carefully.

                “I warned you.”

                “Not soon enough.”