The New Identity

It was nowhere to be found.

                I searched all over the house, all over the car, in the grass, everywhere.

                The mask was simply gone.

                I sat on my bed, my heart pounding furiously in my chest. He was going to murder me. My mind struggled to see if he had taken it during our encounter, but something told me I didn’t have it then. In the back of my mind, I knew I had lost it at the mall.

                There was no way getting it back now.

                The mall had closed an hour ago and chances were that someone had already picked it up and walked away.

                My one chance at finding out who he was, and I blew it.

                And not only that, I could have screwed our town’s hero over.

                I didn’t know what to do. I couldn’t wake my grandmother up to tell her I needed to find his mask. And I knew, even if I was crazy enough to do that, I wouldn’t find it.

                I would simply have to bare the wrath of the masked man.

                He arrived that evening around eleven.

                I had been unable to fall asleep, regardless of my attempts. The lights were off, sealing me in a room of darkness, save for the moonlight trickling in from the open window. I was sure to leave it unlocked.

                His dark silhouette appeared in the window and a few seconds later I heard the squeak of my window opening.

                The cold air blew in sharply with the wind as he glided in.

                “I know you’re awake.” His voice was low.

                I sat up right on my bed, leaning my back against the headboard. I brought my legs to my knees, wrapping my arms around them over top of the covers. The wind died down once he closed the window, but goose bumps remained raised on my skin.

                My eyes strained to make out his face. Tonight, he made no move to cover my eyes, which made me suspicious of his actions.

                It wasn’t until he had stopped in front of my bed, taking a seat on the side, that I realized why he had become so comfortable with me seeing him once again.

                My hero had gained a new mask.

                It wasn’t like the one I had lost. This one was a bright shade of green to match the slash on his back, unlike the original black one. It stood out sharply in the dark. My hands twitched in there spot to reach out and touch it, but I knew there was no way he would let me do that now.

                Much to my dislike, this new masked revealed even less of him. It had a black line that wrapped around where his eyes would be and a slit for his mouth. It fit his outside amazingly, but I still preferred the lost one.

                “Your mask…” I whispered, biting my lip. I was thankful for the quietness required to talk. I knew my voice would crack if I got to loudly from how ashamed I was for losing it.

                “I had to improvise.”

                “I…”