The Invader

“You never texted me.” Donavan said when I arrived into work once school had let out. I blinked, suddenly recalling that I had promised to text him once I got him safely yesterday. Shifting the duffle bag on my shoulder, I smiled apologetically.

                “I’m so sorry, Don.” I said softly, “The moment I got home, I ended up crashing. I didn’t even change out of my clothes.”

                The scowl on his face said I wasn’t forgiven yet, “Do you realize how worried I was about you, Avery?”

                I made my way to the back room, Donavan following behind. “I’m sorry. I wasn’t really thinking about it when I got home.”

                “You could’ve—”

                I dropped the bag on the floor, turning around to face him. I rested one hand on his shoulder, “I’m really sorry I forgot to call you, but I can’t change the past. Please drop it, Donavan. It was a rough day yesterday. I don’t need you hassling me about it.”

                He hesitated a few moments before sighing.

                I gave me a small hug before grabbing my clothes and going to the bathroom to change for the work day.

                It was evident that Donavan was still mad at me, whether he dropped the subject or not.

                ~*~

                “You’re kidding.” Karen said into the phone. It was close to ten in the evening. My grandmother had gone to sleep nearly an hour ago. I had to keep my voice soft on the phone so that she didn’t awake.

                Karen had called me at nine and demanded a serious talk. I bid my grandmother ado and retreated to my room. It took a while for me to explain the entire story. Karen was quite the interrupter. But I had finally finished and she seemed to be in shock.

                “I was horrified.” I mumbled, staring off at the alarm clock on my nightstand. The blue digits changed slowly, illuminating the room.

                “I would be too!” She exclaimed, “I don’t know how you did it. I probably would’ve fainted the moment I felt the gun against my head.”

                I laughed slightly, “I really couldn’t do that, now could I?”

                “I guess not, but still!”

                “Yeah,” I said absently. I rolled onto my back, hanging my head just off the edge of the bed. My eyes formed abstract shapes on the ceiling in the dark room.

                 “So tell me about Donavan. What did he do?” She seemed more interested in Donavan’s actions than the fact that I was almost killed.

                “Once the police got the man, he pulled me away and held me. It was so sweet, Karen, I couldn’t believe this was the same guy!”

                She sighed, “You’re lucky to have him as a friend.”

                “I know!” I rubbed my eyes, feeling exhausted. “He yelled at me today. I forgot to text him when I got back.”

                “Aw,” She giggled, “He worries about you, Aves!”

                “Shut up, I’d be worried too if one of my friends had a gun to their head yesterday!” I rolled my eyes.