Absence

A solid two weeks passed by and no word from the mysterious hero was heard of.

                The media continued their hype on the man who claimed to be the true hero. No major crimes had passed which helped the man fake his way to fame. It was evident that once the public realized he was a fraud, he would be shunned from society.

                He was riding out this role for as long as he could.

                I had given up on meeting the masked man again. I wasn’t going to return him his precious identity, and he wasn’t going to return to me.

                He had almost slipped my mind completely in his absence.

                In the time he had been away, Jake had finally become my official boyfriend. It took Karen a few days to stop gushing over the fact that I had moved on to a much better candidate. Josh kept his distance once he heard the news.

                Every now and then we’d make eye contact in the hallway.

                I was sure to look away as quickly as possible.

                Donavan was quite surprised once he found out about my newly established relations. He offered no harsh feelings, instead surprising me by asking all the details. He seemed a little upset that he hadn’t been warned of Jake, but wished nothing but the best.

                Of everyone who I had to tell, my grandmother was the one I was worried the most about. She already had some hostile feelings towards Jake from the lie I fabricated to save the masked man’s ass, and never liked when I went out with a boy.

                Regardless, I tried to get her to her happiest when I told.

                I had offered dinner at her favorite restaurant, sweetening her up before I told her. It was a Tuesday night and we were sitting in a fairly crowded Friendly’s, munching on what was left of our dinners.

                Grandma set her sandwich on the plate, taking a long sip from the mug of coffee that rested on a small saucer before her.

                “That was lovely.” She smiled gently, “Thank you, Avery.”

                “Not a problem.” I shrugged, eating a French fry.

                “Are you sure you don’t want me to at least cover the tip?” She offered, “It wouldn’t matter. You have much less money than I do.”

                “Please,” I shooed her hand away, taking the check that rested on the edge of the table, “Trust me, grandma, I have this covered.”

                She pursed her lips, “Alright….”

                I smiled, slipping my credit card into the slot next to the receipt and resting the book back where I had gotten it from.

                “So how’s school going?” She asked as we waited for the waitress to come and collect the receipt so we could leave.

                I shrugged, eating another fry, “It’s alright. My Physics teacher is a complete idiot, but aside from that everything’s nice.”

                “How’s Karen? I haven’t seen her recently. Are you two still friends?” Worry filled her voice with the last question.