Breaking the Number One Rule

The note on Thursday was almost enough to make me regret my decision to go to the party. The letters were no longer the smooth, delicate design they had previously been. Written in the familiar red French script, the letters were shaky now. As if whoever was writing it was infuriated by me. It sent chills down my spine.

                Yet the words written across the small piece of paper seemed to deny the feelings that were intended.

                “My Delicious, Red Rose.”

                Four simple words.

                For simple words that made the air on the back of my neck rise. I bit on the tip of my tongue to hold back any unwanted words.

                This note had appeared tucked inside of my locker. It fluttered out onto me when I opened it at the end of the day.

                The thought that worried me the most was that I knew the note hadn’t been there before school started. That meant someone had to have gotten into my locker during the school hours. It worried me.

                I glanced around in the nearly empty hallway, stuffing the note into my pocket. No one needed to see this.

                Grabbing my History text book, I hurried out of the school. Not even the thought of seeing my masked man tonight brought me joy. Those four words repeated themselves in my head. They haunted me.

                They terrified me.

                I wasn’t even sure why.

                ~*~

                I sat on my bed the next day with all the notes spread out before me. They were all written almost identical, save for the different words. My eyes focused on each word, examining every letter, imagining every stroke he must’ve taken with each.

                Having all of them before me gave me an eerie feeling.

                I could remember getting the first message.

                ‘You would look delicious in Red.’ I remembered the chills that it gave me if I even thought about it. I remember wondering why my sender had specifically chosen red as the color. I remember not wearing red for quite some time afterwards.

                I remembered the second note and the surprise it came with.

                My eyes strayed over to my now healed finger. But the razor blade laid next to the note, my blood still stained just barely on the edge.

                ‘Beauty is only Skin Deep’

                And the third.

                The one that got a positive reaction out of me.

                ‘Absence makes the heart grow fonder.’

                My face lit up just barely as I recalled the memory of pure elation that I had received it. It wasn’t a good thing that someone was sending me notes with an underlying threat to them. But the fact that it meant my hero would be coming back was too much to contain.

                And now the newest note to join the rest.

                “My Delicious, Red Rose”