Getting Caught

Avery?!” The shrill of my grandmother’s scream sounded from across the room.

                I froze on top of the masked man. I could feel his body tense underneath me. My head twisted to the side to see my grandmother standing there with a horrified look in her eyes.

                “Grandma—”

                “Who the hell is he Avery Nelson?” She hissed. Her voice was a mixture of anger and disbelief that I had a man in bed with me. Her eyes moved to my superhero, “Get off my granddaughter and out of my house you wretched boy!”

                I scrambled off of the masked man, hurrying over to where my grandmother stood angrily in the doorway of my room, “Grandma, listen I can explain—”

                “I don’t want to hear it now. I want that boy out of my house this instant.” The tone of her voice was one I had never heard before.

                I had really screwed myself over.

                I turned around to where the masked man stood, opening my mouth to apologize when a rush of frustration flooded through me.

                He had left while he had the opportunity before anyone could confront him about the situation we had just been caught in. He wasn’t stuck here forced to face the wrath of my grandmother. He had thrown me to the wolves.

                My grandmother seemed even more irritated when she came to the same realization that the masked man was no longer with us. “Did he just leave? How dare he! I should give his parents a call and let them know what he’s been up to in his free time.”

                If she hadn’t sounded so belligerent, then I would’ve chuckled at her words. She hadn’t even seen his face. How did she expect to call his parents?

                My grandmother turned her fury elsewhere from the masked man to me. Her eyes grew narrow and cold as she glared at me. Her lips were pursed into a thin line.

                I was so going to get it.

                “I can’t believe you, Avery.”

                “I’m sorry, Grandma, I can explain—”

                “You brought a boy into my house while I was asleep?” She shook her head in disbelief, “I always thought you were a good child.”

                “Grandma—”

                “Enough. I don’t want to hear anything else from you. I should send you to a Catholic boarding school for such behavior.”

                I kept silent, knowing not to try to defend myself anymore.

                “I’m disgusted. I want your phone, your music player, your car keys, and your laptop on the kitchen counter tomorrow morning.”

                “How am I going to get to work?!”

                “I’ll drive you if I must.” She said, “You can consider yourself grounded. If I ever find out that anybody else has been in your room, you’re going to be in so much trouble.”

                I stared at the floor.

                She stared at me for a few moments before turning sharply on her heel and leaving the room. I closed the door silently behind her.