Chapter 31

Thirty One.

A r i a.

I paced the length of Daniel’s room. Thank God Celyn showed up when she did, or else there would have been a monstrous fight between Daniel and Darren. At some point during their bickering, I left. I couldn’t stand to hear them constantly arguing and holding back from going at each other’s throats. I also couldn’t bear Daniel’s strong emotions any longer. His anger was so strong, it almost knocked the wind right out of me. His fear, fear of losing me to his brother was ridiculous but also more than I could handle. I needed to get out of there.

Now, I could hear Celyn telling them off for fighting. But I wasn’t stupid. She wasn’t trying to convince them to stop fighting each other. She was trying to tell them that I wasn’t worth it. And I could feel that that was the truth, from Daniel’s thoughts. Sometimes, being able to know what someone else was thinking was a good thing. But most of the time, I loathed it. Especially since Celyn was saying one thing, and Daniel was trying to tell me something else. That his mother didn’t know what she was talking about and that she was wrong. I was worth it.

But a part of me wondered. Daniel didn’t even want to bond to me. He wouldn’t have, if it weren’t tearing at our sanity. So, why was he trying to spare my feelings?

Shaking these thoughts to the back of my mind, I wearily walked to the bathroom and shut the door behind me. I hadn’t been able to walk on my own for a very long time, and I usually had help in the bathroom, so I wasn’t really alone. I ran a bath and stood in front of a mirror. I really did change a lot.

My eyes, which used to be a clear sapphire was now somehow dark. There was black ring around the pupils and it enhanced the striking blue color, so similar to Daniel’s but still so different. My skin glowed, literally. There was a slight flushed look about it but still it was beautiful. Even my hair seemed lighter, and the natural waves fell about my slim face. Everything about what I saw reminded me of when I first saw Daniel. Everything was… perfect. Too perfect.

After I finished my bath, I wandered down the halls, trying to figure out where everyone’s room was. Okay, I was mainly looking for Dane’s room, but only because I knew he was the only Aurelia brother who actually wanted me around. I must have passed about six doors before I finally stumbled upon the master bedroom. I didn’t dare go inside, even if the door was opened. It wasn’t my house and I couldn’t just barge into rooms that weren’t mine. But, that didn’t stop me from listening.

I could hear Dane playing, but where was he? He was laughing and obviously having a good time. The air moved around me, and I could sense that someone was behind me. Then his cool breath was by my ear, making me shiver but I knew right away. It wasn’t Daniel.

“There’s another room within this one. It belongs to Dane.” His voice was low, and his finger traced my jaw. I obviously didn’t know how to react to this and my body remained still. He moved away and I hurriedly spun around to face him.

“Sorry. I didn’t want to scare you.” His tone was apologetic, but his eyes held a wicked glint. I just stood there trying to figure out what was happening. What was he trying to do?

“Are you going to go in, or just stand here all night?” That same boyish smirk that he wore when I first met him was plastered on his handsome face. I couldn’t lie. He was very good looking, but that’s as far as my attraction went for him.

“I cant just barge into your mother’s room, Darren. That’s rude.” I finally found my voice.

He led the way into the room and after a moment of hesitating, I followed. After all, I had to talk to him.

Dane was laying on his back in a little play area that was in his nursery and he was playing with a toy that was hanging over him. His dimpled hands were stretching upwards and there was this adorable smile on his face.

When he heard us walk in, his head turned towards us, but his eyes focused on me. He stopped for a moment and then his eager little hands were stretched towards me. I couldn’t hold back from smiling. He really was the cutest baby I’ve ever seen.

Picking him up, I noticed that Darren took a seat in one of the chairs that were in the nursery. I walked my way over to the rocking chair, setting Dane on my lap and smoothing out his messy curly hair.

“Darren, why didn’t you tell me?” I didn’t need to clarify because he knew exactly what I was talking about. His eyes were filled with an anguished look.

“I couldn’t.” His sadness seeped into his words. I had never seen this side of Darren. Sure there was his cocky, arrogant side and his indifferent side, but I never thought I would see this one. His eyes were downcast, refusing to meet mine. I shifted Dane into a more comfortable position while hesitating to ask more questions. It would only make this situation more awkward, but I needed to know the truth.

“You had so many opportunities Darren. You could have told me everything.” I couldn’t help the hard edge that laced my voice.

“I didn’t want to tell you when you were already so confused. Your thoughts were a mess. You were a mess and still barely coping with the whole vampire thing. I didn’t want to make you more miserable by adding to it.” His tone was sarcastic but he was being honest.
“Darren I’m sorry that this happened to you.” My voice was thick with the sorrow of both our fates.

“The sad part about this whole thing, is that Daniel doesn’t even deserve you.” His voice was heavy with his anger.

“No one ever really deserves someone else, Darren. I know that I don’t deserve him either. I mean I was pathetic before we bonded. I was still hung up on Jonah and what he did. And now that seems so stupid to me. I cant remember why I let it bother me for so long.” It was true.

“So where does this leave us?” I asked him seriously. I knew the reality of our situation caused him a lot of pain, and I hated that I couldn’t feel something other than relief that I couldn’t feel his pain.

“I don’t care about you, in that way Darren.” I hated how my words killed him inside. I could see the hopeful look die in his eyes, leaving him back to the impassive, indifferent person he was earlier. He got up to leave.

“I’m sorry.” I said as he walked out. We all needed time for this to blow over.