Chapter 16

Sixteen.

A r i a.

"Those things exist?" I wondered aloud.

Daniel snorted loudly beside me, but I kept my eyes trained on Jonah. He definitely looked different from when I last saw him. His jaw was more defined. He had a hardness about his face, more mature. The light expression he always used to wear was long gone. His shoulders were more broad and the skin along his arms and fingers looked more tough. They lost that softness over the years.

Now he sat before me, with a sickly look. His skin was blotchy and red, his honey hair slightly darker from the grease that settled in. His eyes were sunken in, and no longer held that strange mix of blue and green that I loved so much. He was entirely a different person. Is this what happened when you were turned into a vampire?

"Not usually. His case just got a little more screwed up than usual." Daniel murmured beside me. I had nothing to say to him. Instead I motioned for Jonah to continue.

"Believe it or not, hunters are as real as the things they kill." He continued, ignoring Daniel's remark.

"My dad was a hunter for years before I was born. He only decided to stop when he met my mother. I always blamed him for bailing on us, because he didn't want a family. But I never knew the entire story." He paused to take in a haggard breath, wincing slightly although he looked as if he were trying to hide it.

"Someone threatened to kill us if he didn't leave. They kept saying something about a deal that my dad made before I was born. He was supposed to work for some coven. I forgot the name. But he was essentially working as a killer for another vampire. Except that vampire was killing it's own kind."

What was this supposed to mean? I couldn't even understand what this whole vampire world was about.

I heard Daniel gasp beside me, a look of utter shock and anger graced his handsome face. His eyes were engulfed in black, terrifying me once again. I took a quick step towards the door, letting my back touch the door frame.

"Is this true?" He asked Jonah, his voice strained.

"Yeah, it is." Jonah replied. I felt more lost than ever just standing here. What were they talking about?

"What are you two talking about?" I asked stupidly.

I assumed it was about what Jonah just revealed. There was a Judas in the vampire world, betraying their very own kind. But something on the look that was plastered on both of their faces told me that wasn't the important part. 

"Jonah, why was that vampire so set on killing others?" The question was bubbling inside of me.

"They were looking for someone. The vampire that took my dad knew about something that everyone else was trying to figure out, or rather didn't care about. I can't remember what exactly."

He looked as if his pain had multiplied greatly. His face was contorted into an awful grimace. I couldn't let these old feelings cloud my mind. What I felt for Jonah in the past, should stay in the past.

"Jonah, get some rest. I'll come back another time." I told him.

This was obviously taking its toll on everyone. I just needed some space, away from this madness to clear my mind.

"Aria, wait." He was up and by my side so suddenly, that I hardly registered the movement. His fingers were gripping my arm.

A low, menacing growl from beside me made me shiver with fear. I didn't have to look to know it came from Daniel. Jonah took a glance and let go of my arm.