Chapter 9

Nine.

Daniel.

I was stuck in one never ending day, where day and night was starting to feel like the same thing. There was nothing refreshing about the rising sun, no promise of a different day ahead. There was nothing comforting about the night. There was no silence. There was always something too loud, or something so soft, that I had to force myself to listen harder. 

Days and nights seemed to merge together. I could not fathom sleep. I hadn't been able to close my eyes and lie still for a second, since Aria.

How ridiculous it was for me to let a bloodbag impact my life so greatly. I let my fingers rest on the windowsill of the study as I tried to force her face from my mind. Thinking about the impossible was not going to help me. It was not going to change anything either. There was no use in working myself into a coil over this nonsense. I needed to kill her, and I needed to do it soon.

"Danny." My sister, Dhalia said as she walked into the study. She balanced my baby brother Dane in her arms as she let him play with her ring. 

"What?" I answered her rather sharply. I was letting my irritation get the best of me, but I was also tired of babysitting her.

"I was just going to say that mother sent for you." She said in that soft voice that knew just where to crack and make me start feeling sorry for her. Dhalia was not like the rest of us and I tended to forget that.

"What does she want?" I asked her, lowering my voice just a little. It still didn't mask my irritation that was creeping dangerously high these days. I was going to snap, and it was going to be soon.

I was tired of all the responsibility that held me hostage for well over a year. Darren did not care to help. He took off the moment he felt there was nothing that he can do for us. Dhalia clearly couldn't do anything to help out because she was too lost in her own world where we constantly had to watch her. My mother was a waste of time without my father by her side. How was it that the most unstable of this entire family was the only one fit to run the businesses that the Aurelia family owned? It was just absurd. 

I turned back to the desk that had the various files laid out across the surface.  These files contained things that I did not even know about. I let them sit there, but all they did was keep reminding me of that responsibility. Of the thundering weight that rested on my shoulders. Everyone saw the expensive clothes, the beautiful house.

No one saw the emptiness that broke this family.

I walked the short distance to her room, but a sound stopped me from going in. It was a sob, one that shook the air around me. I halted my steps, knowing that this wasn't the time to go in there as angry as I was. Truthfully, it was hard to see that a woman like my mother, someone who appeared so detached from herself, and from the world around her can break down so easily.

I turned and walked out of the house, determined to clear my head and get some fresh air. But it was pointless. Being the creature that I am didn't allow for the silence I craved. I heard everything, right down to the timer of the streetlight at the intersection, two miles from where I was standing.

I couldn't get those miserable blue eyes out of my head. I couldn't get that song, those lulling pulses that tangoed with one another out of my ears. I felt her under my skin, her heat making my cold skin tremble. I could feel her in the wind, swirling and weaving itself around me. And I longed to taste her. To sink my teeth into her skin and drink until I couldn't anymore.

I shook my head, trying to clear it. I was just so hungry all the time. It didn't make sense, and I felt that even the most potent blood wasn't enough to staunch the hunger. It was maddening to walk around this neighborhood, with the never ending burn in the back of my throat. All the heartbeats seemed louder, screaming at me from all sides. I felt like a starved vampire, someone who hasn't fed in years. And it was driving me insane. I felt like I can drain this entire city but all the blood in this city wouldn't do anything to help quell the burning inside of my veins. Because it wasn't hers...