Chapter 15

Fifteen.

A r i a.

I think a part of my brain shut down when I registered the look of pure sadness and guilt etched onto Daniel’s face. But I couldn’t let those expressions affect me. He was a monster. He said so himself. I took my hand out of his and stood up away from him. The beats ceased once again, but there was this feeling that burned at the pit of my stomach. I couldn’t decipher it.

There were more pressing issues to deal with. Daniel was able to know what I was thinking. How? And better yet, if he had that ability all along, then he had to have known about my…problem, before I told him. But how was that possible? There was no such thing as a mind reader.

There is no such thing as vampires. My stubborn voice decided to make itself known. But I couldn’t help to note how wrong I was about that little detail.

“How did you know what I was thinking?” My voice was just a bit louder than a whisper. I found myself backing away from him, wanting to will distance to be some sort of block against Daniel’s ability to read my mind. But his eyes narrowed on my feet, and I knew that he would notice any little movement that I made.

He gave an exasperated sigh and motioned for me to sit down again. But no matter how I could look at this situation, from a vampire’s point of view or my own, I couldn’t bring myself to move. My head was starting to pound fiercely.

“It’s sort of like watching a movie. Each thought is vivid, and I could feel what the person is feeling while they are thinking that. It sort of plays out like a movie. I’m able to distinguish where exactly the thought is coming from, by focusing only on that person.”

He watched me again, with those same guarded eyes trying to decipher what action I would take. But I stayed still.

Something tugged at my mind. I was forgetting something big. But all of this was very overwhelming to deal with. A flash of blue-green and black took over my mind for a brief second. It took all my will power to remain standing.

“How did he end up at your house?”

My voice cracked on this sentence, and for the first time since hearing all of this I was calm. It was like a calm acceptance seeped into me, making it bearable for just this moment. It was contradicting my expression, but I knew better than to push this feeling away. He was alive, and breathing. He was here, in this small town somewhere in Arizona. He was the same as I remembered him. Tall and lean, with that gorgeous honey blonde hair.

 He was my Jonah.

His eyes swept over me, and he looked as if he were fighting with himself over whether or not he should answer my question.

“You think you know him so well,” he began, an undertone of ignorance lacing his words.

“But you don’t.” I gave him a puzzled look but it only stayed on my face for a second. I shook with fear as I watched Daniel’s eyes change once again, from a bright blue to a deep ebony. It was almost hypnotizing.

“What do you mean?”

Of course I was bubbling with questions again. How dare he comment on my relationship with Jonah, the only person who seemed familiar to me. How dare he? But I also knew there was some truth behind what he was saying. It has been more than three years and I haven’t seen Jonah until yesterday. And it is amazing how much a person can change in that amount of time.

“I told you before, that you might not like what you hear. Jonah’s secret is for him to tell. I can only tell you that I found him, barely alive and if it wasn’t for me, he would be dead.” My thoughts warmed at the thought that someone found him.