Chapter 25

Twenty Five.

A r i a.

I twirled around in my lavender dress. God, I couldn't believe I was actually going to the junior formal with Jonah. My stomach still had butterflies just thinking about it. I heard the doorbell ring and cursed at myself for not putting on my shoes earlier. I hastily slipped my feet in, hopping around trying to fasten the straps and hurriedly applied another thin coat of lip gloss before hurrying down the stairs.

It was a wonder how the future senior quarterback ended up with me. A simpleton who still used a nightlight at the age of fifteen. But I guess whatever he saw, he liked. I gasped at his handsomeness. God, he was gorgeous. His blonde hair shined in the afternoon sun, his soft blue-green eyes were smiling.

"You look amazing, Aria." His smile was radiant.

"T-thanks. You don't look too bad yourself." I laughed shakily. I wasn't used to people giving me compliments. I silently scolded myself for saying something so lame, my cheeks burning while the butterflies fluttered restlessly.

"We should get going." He said, leading me out the door and to his car. I said a quick goodbye to my parents, who tried to discreetly snap a photo of us, but failed as I saw my dad try to hide the camera. He smiled sheepishly at me while my mom ushered me out of the door. I smiled to myself. Parents will be parents.

Jonah had his arms around my waist, mine around his shoulders. He let me stand on his toes because I was a horrible dancer. We were in the middle of a slow song, You and Me by Lifehouse. I knew every single word and hummed along contently. My eyes met his and for a brief moment, I forgot we were at the dance. His expression was so happy and light.

"So did I past the first test?" His question snapped me out of my ogling and I blushed from my embarrassment.

"What test?" I asked, really confused. I tried to keep my feet on his, as I could feel that they were slipping off.

"You know. The whole impressing your parents, driving you here, and keeping you entertained test. The first date test."

His smirk grew as he now took in my red face. It was so unusual for him to refer to this as our first date. I blushed even deeper because my parents had been giving me hell about that ever since I announced that I was asked to attend this formal. His expression then sobered up and I could see the faintest blush creep across his features, making him even more adorable.

"Aria, I-I really like you." He mumbled, his eyes downcast.

I was literally stunned. We had stopped dancing, and he just stood there looking anywhere but at me. No one had ever said something like this to me. Hell, this was my first real date with someone. I didn't know what to say. This had to be some sort of prank. I pulled away abruptly, wanting to leave before I was made a fool in front of everyone. A hand clasped on to my forearm and pulled me back.

"Just let me explain." His expression was pleading. I sighed and waited, wanting to leave as soon as he was done. I was tired of the pranks, the jokes and the games. I should have known better than to come in the first place.

"I know that you probably think that there is some ulterior motive to this. But I swear there's none. I genuinely like you. You're kind, caring, and honest. You're different."

He said finally looking back at me. His voice had grown soft and I saw nothing but honesty in his eyes. I tried snapping out of this shocked shell, realizing that I needed to say something too.