Chapter 29

Twenty Nine.

A r i a.

Pain.

It was all I felt for the last three weeks. Hunger pains. Body pains. Mental pains. Pain from all angles. I wondered for a long time if maybe, by some rare miracle that all this pain would eventually kill me. I hoped for that. I prayed for that. But it never happened. Instead, I was subjected to endure it. The only time the pain eased, was when I drank from Daniel. I needed to complete the transformation, from being a human to vampire. That required a steady diet consisting of blood, and only blood. His blood.

Daniel’s family had been acting different. Secretive. I didn’t like the fact that not only were they hiding things from me, but from Daniel as well. I knew that if I didn’t seal the bond, then I would forever be an obstacle in Daniel’s life and would affect his ability to make rational, important decisions. He needed a way to get his father home and away from Angelo. But with me in the way, that would be almost impossible.

I was soon beginning to realize that maybe sealing the bond was a mistake. Daniel was spending more and more time with me, rather than being with his family and devising a plan to get Darius home. I felt that their secretiveness was my fault. They were keeping things from Daniel, maybe because they didn’t want to add to his worries, or maybe they didn’t want to involve him for some reason. But it was clear in the way they acted. As if there was always something that needed to be done. They would clear the room when Daniel walked in.

Today, Daniel was helping me walk. I was still too weak to do things on my own and I always needed someone to do them for me. I hated making people do things for me. I was used to sticking it out and doing it on my own. I was used to being independent.

“If you feel like you can’t stand on your own, fall on me.” His voice was stern and his expression was serious. His blue eyes bore into mine and then I heard him. His voice flooded my mind, with that same stern tone.

“I mean it.”

He was standing in front of me, while I was sitting on his bed. He helped me swing my legs over the edge of the bed and I grabbed his arms. Even if I was able to hold things, my grip on him was still weak. I braced with all my weight against him and slowly started to stand. My legs buckled beneath me and I fell forwards. Daniel’s grip on me tightened and he brought me back up standing.

“This is hard.” I whined. I hated the fact that I couldn’t even stand on my own.

“This is only your first attempt. Don’t worry. It’ll get easier.” Being bonded to Daniel was…different. He had many sides that I didn’t know about and what made this experience all the more interesting, was discovering all of those different sides. There was a lot more to him than that cold front he put up, blocking all the things he really felt. Being bonded to him gave me an advantage. I knew what he hid from his family. He knew that something was up that they weren’t sharing with him. He was hurt, but he carried on pretending that he didn’t know.

Right now, he was trying not to make himself read into how much it bothered him that I couldn’t walk yet. His thoughts keep drifting back to others that have transformed. They were able to do lots of things on their own, just after three weeks of being changed. He didn’t want to make himself compare my case to those but he couldn’t help it. But he always tried to keep in mind that I was a human who was sealing a bond, and not just a human that was being turned.

I took two shaky steps and fell forwards again, not able to hold my own weight. I let out a frustrated groan, feeling the little bit of strength that I mustered up fading. Exhaustion was taking over. My breathing hitched a little and my eyes began to droop. My chest ached with my rapid breathing, my heart trying to beat its normal fast human pace, but no longer able to beat that fast. That was causing the ache in my chest.