Chapter 11

Eleven.

D a n i e l.

Staring at the ceiling of my room was getting boring. But I couldn’t bring myself to actually do anything. I sighed and flipped on to my stomach, my thoughts flooding back to earlier with Aria. Her story almost made me…

I had to control whatever I was feeling. It wasn’t rational. It didn’t matter. It shouldn’t  really affect me at all.

But it did.

I knew she wouldn’t get over that boy. Humans were so pathetic. Pining away for people who didn’t give a shit about them. I always wondered why they attached themselves to one another. Then again, I never found a mate so I wouldn’t know.

Pushing all of this shit out of my head, I opened up my mind to the outside. It was always fascinating, to just listen to everything else out there. I could see thousands of images behind my closed lids. Some were memories, some were happening right now. Some were things people wanted to keep locked away forever. But they didn’t know someone like me could invade their mind and know about it anyway.

I felt a mental stab of pain. Someone was hurting. I immediately sought her mind out, shutting out all the others. It wasn’t her. She was still sleeping.

Who was it then?

I focused on the source of the pain, mentally wincing at the sheer amount of it. This pain was familiar. It was distinct. I would be able to identify this anywhere. Someone was being turned. Into what I am.

Reading someone’s thoughts was almost similar to a sort of connection. I couldn’t know exactly where the person was, but I could generally pick out a direction of the source by focusing on that person, and only that person. I closed my eyes, my teeth extending and the blood pumping faster through my veins. I focused on only the connection; the link and started running north, the opposite side of town. The more you focused on the link, the more clear the images became.

I ran until I ended up at the edge of town, a mass of abandoned buildings adorned the sidewalks. I tried focusing on which building the person would be. I heard the erratic beating of their heart. They were in a weakened state of panic. Their agony filled the air. I entered the building, where this energy seemed to seep from and there slumped in a corner was a man with a black sweater on. The hood shielded his face.

I said nothing, as I turned this pathetic waste over onto his back. I needed to see the face of the idiot that got himself into this mess. When someone was being turned, they needed an elder with them. They needed a constant supply of blood to make the transformation complete. They needed someone to make sure the transformation was as painless as possible, because too much pain can ultimately kill them. By the looks of this, no one was taking charge of this.

I peeled back his hood, getting my first glimpse of his face. It was smeared with blood, bruises all over and a large gash on his right eyebrow. His hair was blonde, but bloodstained. The swelling of his broken jaw was already starting to go down, healing from the transformation. His eyes shot open, and he blinked dazedly. The eyes looked so familiar, but alien at the same time.

“Help me”. The words came out like a strangled whisper.

The pain was probably at its peak. As much as I didn’t want to clean up the mess of another person, I couldn’t leave him here. He was one of my kind now and there was no way I was going to leave a youngling alone. The first days were always the hardest.

Fighting the bloodlust, and taming it was something you had to do with practice. If he was left alone, he would never learn to control it.

I carried him over my shoulder back to my house. My mother would sort this out.