Chapter 40

Chapter 40

The Beginning

Jason Oliver Millet was born at 8:14 PM, weighing 5 pounds 15 ounces, on May 6, 2012. Isabella Marie Millet was born at 8:19 PM, weighing 5 pounds 13 ounces, on May 6, 2012. The pain was excruciating, especially with two. Marco had cut the umbilical cords with a nervous look on his face.

I waited in my hospital room with Marco. They took the twins to the NICU to check them over.

"How do you feel?" Marco asked me. He was sitting in a chair beside my bed.

"Okay. A little exhausted. But I'm fine."

"Good. I'm a little exhausted myself. And my hand hurts... a lot."

I smiled. "Sorry." He smiled back. "Thanks for being here. It was very important to me."

"I know. It was important to me too."

"And Marco..." I was beginning to get tired.

"Yeah?"

"I love you."

"I love you too."

Two hours past and the twins were brought back to us. Marco and I had taken an hour nap so we were wide awake. My room was now filled with friends and family.

"Come on Marco." Ms. Ramirez said. "I want a picture of you holding the babies."

"Yeah, go ahead." I encouraged.

I handed Jason to Marco, then Isabella. His face gave a nervous, unsure expression.

"I don't..." He started.

"Don't be nervous." I said. "You won't drop them." He turned towards the camera and gave a nervous, half smile. Ms. Ramirez put the camera down and frowned.

"You can smile better than that." She said. "You're holding two babies who love you, and you love them. And you're here with the woman you love. Be happy and smile."

Ms. Ramirez put the camera up and took a picture when Marco gave a real smile.

"Now I want one of the four of you together." I took Jason from Marco and we looked at the camera. I gave a smile, but Marco gave me a kiss on the cheek right before the flash went off.

"Alright." My mom said. "I think we all should get a chance to hold the babies."

"Yes!" Kassia exclaimed.

The twins went through a lot of hands. My parents, Marco's mom, Marco's aunt and uncle, my friends (except Justin), and Marco's friends. I was surprised Marco's friends showed up. They didn't seem the type that would.

"I think we should let the new family rest. It's late." Ms. Ramirez said. Everyone began to leave, leaving the four of us alone. The twins would sleep at my side and Marco said he'd stay with me.

"Can we start over?" Marco asked me. "I mean, with the twins here now, we can be like a real family. I promise I won't leave you alone with the two of them."

I smiled. "Yeah, we can start over. Because I love you and I was a fool not to take you back." Marco smiled and gave me a kiss.

"Am I the luckiest guy on Earth, or what?" He said, the smile still on his face. I laughed at him. I feel everything is going to fall into place now. Things are starting to look up.

The next morning, I woke up to the bright sun shining through my window. I squinted, the light hurting my eyes. I looked around the room to see the twins still asleep beside me. They actually slept through the night. Marco was asleep in a chair, across the room. I stretched and got up. I'm okay to walk around now since I didn't really have any complications. I walked to my hospital bag and took out my phone. I turned it on and saw that it was 1:20 PM. I put it back in my bag and walked over to Marco. I sat on his lap and rest my head on his chest.