Chapter 4 (Rewritten)

Chapter 4

Wrong Direction

*Marco*

Bailey side steps me and leaves towards her next class. I'm stupid to have expected her to say yes. Why would a girl like her be interested in a guy like me? I never thought a girl was out of my league until now. For once my bad boy reputation is working against me.

An arm slips around mine and I look down to see Casey, a large grin on her face. Instantly, I begin to feel annoyed.

"Want to walk me to class?" She asks.

"Yeah, I guess." I shrug. If only Bailey could be this excited to be around me.

Casey and I arrive to class and I slip my arm out of hers. She frowns before I walk over to my desk. Can't she tell that I don't want to be bothered right now?

"What's wrong with you?" Casey asks, coming to sit in the empty desk in front of me. She twists her body so she's facing me. "You look like your puppy died."

"It's nothing." I wave her away, but she still sits and stares at me expectantly.

            I sigh as I roll my eyes. She's always wants to act like my girlfriend and get emotionally involved. Will she ever realize it's a friends with benefits thing?

            The late bell rings and Casey heaves a sigh. The room begins to fill with students as the teacher walks in.

            "Tell me later?" She asks with a hopeful look.

            "Whatever, I guess." She smiles with satisfaction before returning to her assigned seat. She's so incredibly annoying. Half the time if we're not sleeping together, I don't pay her any attention. I thought we'd agreed not to get too close to each other. Apparently she has other plans.

            My phone buzzes and I look to see a text from Paul that reads, Go straight to the cafeteria at lunch. Me and the guys came up with a great idea. We want to go over it with you first.

            I place my phone back on my desk and tune out the teacher as he begins to talk about a new book we're starting. I look over at Casey who stares at her reflection in her mirror as she applies another coat of lip gloss. How can I get girls like Casey to willingly jump into bed with me, when I can't even get a girl like Bailey to go on a date with me? What is it that I have to change?

            "Marco, why isn't your book open? You should be following along." Mr. Taylor says. I open my book with a sigh. Clearly I have more important things on my mind.

I pretend to follow along with Mr. Taylor's lecture as the class drags on and on. When the bell rings signalling the end of class, I close my book and shove it in my bag. I rush out of the classroom in hopes of avoiding Casey.

I run into Paul and Eric as they attempt to flirt with two girls. I notice one of the girls looks uncomfortable and nervous as Eric makes a bad joke. I keep from laughing at his failed attempt as I walk up and take him into a playful headlock. The girls take it as their chance to leave and rush off as Paul calls after them.

"What the hell?" Eric complains. "Did you see how hot they were? You made us look bad."

"You were making yourselves look bad. You're lucky I came by to save you from yourselves."

            "Whatever, we have class." Paul says.

***

            After second period, I wait outside in the hall for Bailey's friend. As he walks out the door, I grab hold of his arm and pull him in my direction.