Chapter 9

Vanessa’s POV

I felt my heart flutter as Harry kissed me just before my lips. It made me realize how much I appreciate the small gestures he makes. It made me forget, just for the moment, how messed things between us are and I love that no matter what, Harry still puts the effort in to giving me some sort of affection, even when things are tense.

Harry left to retrieve my drink and I walked up to Christina and Niall as Harry instructed. They were seated next to each other and although he was conversing with someone else, he made sure to keep his arm around his girlfriend at all times. I smiled at how cute they are together.

Once Christina noticed I was sat next to her, she scootched away from Niall and seated herself next to me. Niall grabbed a hold of her hand, making sure she didn’t leave him alone.

“Now’s the perfect time,” Christina whispered excitedly. She had a bright yet mischievous smile on her lips.

“To do what?” I asked.

“Flirt with some guy, Harry has had his eye on you the entire time.”

I shook my head. “I-I don’t think I can do that,”

“Why not?”

“Because,” I said sternly. “Harry has been really sweet so far and I like the way things are going. I don’t want to get him mad, especially now. He’s really trying, Christina. Going on with our plan is going to make things worse between us.”

She rolled her eyes at me. I could tell she wanted to say something back but the sorrow in my eyes must have stopped her.

I thought about our plan this whole week. On my free time I’d find myself thinking about Harry and how I was going to see him today. On and off, I kept thinking about how wrong this idea is and how badly it could backfire. It’s too early to test Harry and after spending a short amount of time with him, I don’t want to change his mood. Even though he isn’t completely bright and happy (because of how I’m dressed), he’s managed to compose himself and actually be nice with me. Usually it wouldn’t work that way.

   “At least take off your shirt.” Her tone had a hint of annoyance, and I understand why. She’s not happy that I suddenly decided to call the plan off. I know she wanted to see what the outcome of our plan, but there’s no way I can willingly do it.

Harry wasn’t happy with what I was wearing in the first place; revealing more of my body would push him over the edge. I was surprised that he didn’t freak out as badly as he usually would, and I don’t want to challenge his patience, especially when there’s a large crowd around us.

I shook my head. “I can’t,”

“If it makes you more comfortable, I’ll take my top off too. If Harry asks, say you’re going to go swimming with me, he won’t get mad at that.”

I sighed as Christina let go of Niall’s hand and pulled her shirt off. She looked over at me with an expecting look. I bit my lip as I hesitantly lifted my shirt over my head and tossed it to the side.

Christina smiled. I could tell that she had something planned in her devilish mind but I chose to believe she didn’t. As her best friend, I have to always assume the worst. She already hates Harry and I know by doing this it’ll piss him off, but having Harry get pissed due to a plan of Christina’s will satisfy her.

We both turned towards Niall as he laughed loudly with one of his friends and stood up. He looked over at Christina and his eyes widened and a smile placed on his lips. Unlike Harry, Niall finds pleasure out of his girlfriend wearing a bikini in public. Christina explained to me a million times how Niall doesn’t mind that she wears little clothing in front of other people because he takes pride in walking around with her and showing her off. He likes to people knowing that he has something that they can’t have.