Chapter One (Edited)

Read, vote and comment!! :D

Chapter One

 I let the water wash over me, scalding hot it ran over my wounds. I hissed at the shooting pain.

It rushed over my wrists, which were now healing, and ridded them of the old blood. I washed my hair, taking a long time to rid it of all the tangles and tats, bathing in luxury.

The gashes would heal slowly, had I been a human however they would have been fatal. The pain screamed at me and radiated up my arms and it was all I could do to bite my lips to stop me from crying out. There was no one to hear me though; I was alone in the house, as usual. I would sometimes expect a few members of my pack to be hanging around, but they’d already headed to the club.

                The water began to turn cold and I stepped out into the steam filled bathroom. I stared at my reflection in the mirror, only seeing the hazy line of my figure in the fogged up mirror. I whipped away the condensation and then immediately wished I hadn’t.

                A long cut scraped its way along my cheek bone, thin and already scabbed over, but it would be healed within hours. A bruise covered my jaw where the Hunter had backhanded me and it ached to the touch. My arms were another story, cut all over and bruising nicely; I dared not look at my wrists. My legs were in the same condition, the bruises were black and blue, but would heal over the next few days.

I stared into my own eyes, reflected back at me. They shimmered in the light, a light blue with sliver specks that glittered. They were one of the many things that classed me as abnormal and inhuman. No human would be able to see the way they flashed silver every now and again, but they could certainly see how my pupils would sometimes expand to an abnormal size. This allowed me to see the smallest of things, or see in the faintest of lights.

                It was said a person’s eyes were the windows to their soul and, as I stared into mine, all I could see was wolf. I sighed, what did I expect to be able to see? My life reflected back at me- all the wrongs and good things I’d done? I almost laughed.

                I began to run my hands though my hair, dark brown streaked with natural red highlights. It was long and wavy but the remaining knots snagged at my fingers.

                 My irritation began to build as my mind wandered back to my pack. I dressed hastily, making sure my wounds were covered and my face thick with foundation before I even stepped foot outside my house. As the darkness threatened to send my mind wheeling back to images of the cellar, I shook them off.

                My house, grand as it was, was surrounded by a forest. The trees were highlighted with moonlight and I could hear every cricket chirp and every rustle of an animal. The wolf in me began to churn, threatening to take over. I let it seep over me, but not enough to allow me to actually change.

                My instincts screamed at me to chase after everything that moved, to catch it and feast on it. I smelled the air, a deer and a fowl grazed in the next clearing, oblivious to the monster that was seriously considering hunting them. However, a rational thought crept into my mind, the club; I was meant to be heading to the club.

                I took off at full speed, having gone the same way thousands of times before. The smells of the forest filled my nose, the musky odour of my pack, the damp of the leaves, the sweet smell of wildflowers. With each leap more smells exploded in my nostrils as my feet landed on even more leaves and rich earth. I leaped over plants and small trees and flew past a small stream that bubbled not too far away from me. Images of the many summers spent there with friends and family rushed into my mind, the sensation of sun on my skin, warming my body, and the clean smell of water.