Chapter Twelve (Edited)

Read, vote, comment and stuff please xx

Chapter Twelve

Ray’s POV

 “Garrett!” My eyes widened at her screech. I knew he must have heard that, and I hoped he didn’t come knocking.

I begged her with my eyes to be quiet; she seemed to finally get the message after a minute of staring at me, mouth hanging open.

I didn’t know how I knew, I’d been around him for years but recently something had changed. I didn’t know if it was because of our age or because I’d probably never talked to him for more than five minutes. I’d never actually sat with him, looking at him properly.

                “Please Ari, you can’t say anything.” I would have got down on my knees if I’d had to. I couldn’t have Garrett knowing, I couldn’t bear to see the rejection on his face, why would he want me? He’d never had any interest in me before, why would he now? I knew I could confide in Aria though, I needed someone to talk to, I couldn’t stop thinking about him and it was beginning to take its toll on me.

                “I won’t but-” I cut her off.

                “No buts, he can’t know, understand?” Her nostrils flared at the command, but I could see the resolve in her eyes, she let it go with a sigh. Garrett could never know about me being his mate.

                “Ray, why are you doing this?” She placed her hand on my shoulder and in that brief moment I felt as if I could have fallen to my knees with the weight that was lifted from me. I had someone to talk to.

                “I couldn’t bear to see him reject me,” I could tell she was about to interrupt me, but I held a hand up to stop her, “As my friend I expect you to honour my wishes.” I could see the debate that was going on in her head, I knew she didn’t like Garrett and this news probably shocked her just as much as it did me.

                “I won’t tell him, but you need to. Ray, you’re one of the best people I know, he’s the one that doesn’t deserve you.” A small chuckle escaped my lips, but I soon found myself shaking my head at her words.

                “I’m not pretty, I’m not smart, I’m not strong willed like you and besides, he hardly even acknowledges I exist let alone that I’m his mate.” I gave her a sad smile and went and sat on her bed, staring at the wall that was now covered in sheets of paper and pictures.

                She came over and patted my knee like a mother would.

                “Anyway, let’s forget about this for now. What’s this all about?” I could hear her sigh as she followed my gaze to her wall, it warned me that the conversation about Garrett was not over but she was willing to put it aside for the time being. She ran a hand through her messy hair, her shoulders slumping as she took it all in.

                “I’m not really sure. I figured that if I got it all out and looked it over I might be able to find something, connect things that I hadn’t been able to see before, but now I realise there was no point.” I looked it over, seeing all the information that we’d collected over the years about her parent’s murder. I stood, walking forward to see it a bit closer.

                “Why don’t we start from the beginning?” I turned back to look at her. I could see the hesitation in her eyes; I knew it was hard for her to talk about it. Heck, it had taken her almost a year to get over the fact that they were gone. By the time she’d finally come around she was thin, unhealthily so, but she now had fire in her eyes, a determination to find out who’d done this to her.

As time passed it was clear to see that that determination had hardened her, but it had never dwindled. She was just as hopeful to find the answers now as she had ever been; there just weren’t many options anymore.

                I knew my suggestion to start from the beginning was slightly spurred on by curiosity, we’d all seen the scene afterwards but she’d never told anyone her side of the story. It was common knowledge that they had never really got on, you could have heard the arguments from miles around, but she’d loved them with all her heart.

                She looked like a deer caught in the headlights of a car and I could see her trembling hands. I instantly felt sorry for even suggesting it, but it was about time we tried to put it all together.

                “You don’t have to tell me everything, you could even just tell me from when you started to look for answers.” She rose from her place on the bed, shaking her head. When she turned back to me, I could see the rekindled determination in her eyes.

                “No it’s about time you knew, besides there’s... not really much to tell anyway.” She voice faltered that she was scared, but she continued to speak.

                “Okay.” She gave me a small smile before walking forward to stand beside me, staring at the wall. She breathed in deeply and then she began to speak.

                “It was the choosing ceremony three years ago, as you know...”

I know it's really short but the next  one is much longer and we finally get to find out what happened to Phoenix's parents!! woop