2

"Hey, it's Kalani. Sorry I missed you, leave a message and I'll call back as soon as I can, bye!"

Hey, I'm sorry I haven't called the last couple of days. I'm just really overwhelmed I guess.

When we went to your parents house, I couldn't even walk through the front door because I knew you wouldn't be there to greet me like you usually did. So instead, I sat on the steps while your dog cuddled up to me. She misses you a lot too. When your dad joined me outside, he told me that she cries at your door. We all miss you Kal.

Your mom and dad also tried asking me if I knew you were struggling. I didn't know what to tell them. I mean I was your best friend, and I knew you were sad at times, but you never let me all the way in. Well, I guess that's not true. You did confide in me, only after I caught you.

"Kalani, your mom said I could come up, and I brought movies" I say before entering the room, being greeted by silence. "Kal? You here?"

Slowly walking further into the room, I sit the movies down on the bed before scanning around.

I hear a muffled sob coming from the direction of the bathroom, and notice a slit of light from under the door.

"Kal?" I ask quietly while walking slowly towards the bathroom door, my stomach twisting with anxiety.

"Don't c-come in Dem" she whimpers, followed by a thud and I immediately rush inside.

Never in my life did I think that I'd find my best friend on a bathroom floor, with her own blood staining her skin. You looked so broken. I still get flashbacks in my head of you crying into my chest while I tried to sit you upright. I still remember your pleads for me to stop as I cleaned your cuts to stop them from getting infected. I even remember you asking me how I knew what to do, and all I could do was give you a sad smile and say "experience".

Looking back, I should have told your parents what happened. Maybe if I had, you'd still be here. Maybe if I had, I wouldn't be spending my days at your parents house, planning your funeral and telling them what music you'd like to have playing, or what dress you would want to have been buried in. The only time I should give advice on what dress you should wear is for your wedding day, where I'm the maid of honour. But that day won't come. There won't be any bride, or any dress. All I have now is no best friend and a coffin.

And it's my fault for staying silent.

I'm sorry. I miss you Kalani. Talk to you later, bye.