1

"Hey, it's Kalani. Sorry I missed you, leave a message and I'll call back as soon as I can, bye!"

I miss you. No surprise there. It's only been one day without you but I already feel lost. I already feel like this is the end of me too.

How am I supposed to carry on with my life if you're not here by my side? How am I supposed to handle the end of my college year without you calling me to help me with my assignments?

You've always had my back. Ever since the first day of middle school.

Walking down the crammed corridors, it doesn't take long for my anxiety to start. I feel like everyone's staring at me, at how ugly I am. There's no way I'll be able to make any friends here. Impossible.

"Watch where you're going, freak!" a girl yells at me after our shoulders collide with each other. I don't reply. In my head I tell her that she's the one who ran into me, because I always watch where I'm home, but I know better than to talk back.

I try to keep walking but fail. The girl and her clique have formed a barrier, preventing me from escaping the turmoil I know I'm about to receive.

"Please move" I mutter quietly, my eyes trained to the floor. She's wearing fancy strap sandals that her beloved daddy bought for her. It doesn't take an idiot to tell that she's rich and isn't used to being told no. She's spoiled.

"Oh, look girls! It speaks" she sniggers before touching my shoulder, obviously mocking my somewhat torn up jacket. "Listen to me, bitch. I run this school. Cross me again and I won't hesitate to make your life a living hell. Are we clear?" she whispers into my ear, and I'm almost positive the quiver of fear that runs through my body is visible to everyone around us. A crowd has formed. I can tell because of the low murmur of voices and the increased sound of footsteps approaching.

I nod my head quickly, unable to speak. I thought I would escape the bullying after last year, but it looks like it's just followed me to middle school. Great.

"What was that? Can't you fucking speak or are you that stupid?" she yells in my face, close enough for me to feel the slight spit from her mouth that lands on my cheek. I grimace.

"Yes, we're clear" I reply, my voice small.

"Good, now get the hell away from me. No good piece of shit" she laughs before shoving me backwards, causing me to lose my balance and fall to the floor.

That's when the laughter starts. The taunting. The name calling. The look of 'what a mess'. It never goes away.

I keep my eyes on the ground, grabbing my things before pushing myself back up to my feet.

"Hey, are you okay?" a voice says in a tone of concern, causing me to lift my head.

A girl with long brown hair walks up to me before placing her hand on my arm, causing me to flinch.

"I won't hurt you. I just wanted to know if you're okay.." she says softly, and I manage to throw a small smile of thanks for her being so nice.

"I'll be fine, thank you..." I trail off, waiting for the kind stranger to tell me her name.

"Oh duh sorry, I'm Kalani" she giggles before helping me dust off the dirt from my jacket.

"I'm Demi" I reply while throwing my backpack over my shoulder.

"Well Demi, how about we go to the cafeteria and get to know each other more? Maybe we have some of the same classes!" she exclaims enthusiastically before linking her arm with mine.

"I'd love to" I reply, giggling at her excitement.

Maybe middle school won't be so bad after all.

Turns out we had every single class together, what amazing luck was that? You were the only person in that damn place who didn't look at me like some poor, pathetic excuse of a girl. You saw a human being. You treated me like a human being. You risked being popular for me. You chose to be my friend, with the result of Bryony and her clique hating you as well. But you didn't care. You cared about me more. I'll forever be thankful for that.

I gotta go, mom is yelling for me because we're going to visit your parents today. You know, make arrangements and things. I'll call you as soon as I can. I miss you, Kalani. Bye.