Part 18

Christmas day came and with it a fresh coat of snow which made the room seem ten times brighter. I felt the usual childlike feeling of excitement wash over me as I noticed the presents at the end of my bed. “Hermione!” I threw a sock at her without even bothering to look and see if she was awake.

“I’m awake!” She told me when the sock hit her.

“Good” I scrambled out of bed and gathered my presents together so that I could open them in bed. I sifted through them and counted nine presents. Without looking at who it was from, I opened the smallest first. It was from Dobby. He’d given me a pair of socks with his face embroidered into it.

From Harry I got a photo album full of pictures of myself, him, Hermione, Fred and various others and a stripy onesie (an all in one pyjama set.)

From Ron I was given an assortment of sweets.

From Hermione I received a hand knitted scarf, hat and gloves.

From Fred I got a new charm for my bracelet (a dragon) and a book called ‘How to temporarily curse your friends and family.’

From Mr and Mrs Weasley I got the usual handmade fudge and a Weasley Jumper. It was purple this year.

From George and Ginny I was given some more sweets.

From Hagrid I received a box full of his infamous rock cakes.

Surprisingly, from the Malfoys, I was given 200 galleons and a note which said ‘Merry Christmas.

And from Dad I received nothing.

I never expected presents but the absence of one from dad hurt me way more than it probably should have because it told me that he was still mad at me when I didn’t even do anything wrong. Since he’d caught Fred and I on the steps, I’d avoided him at all costs; I hid when I saw him coming, I ignored him at breakfast and I didn’t go out of my way to visit him in his office like I used to. I was still mad at him; not as angry as I was but still.

“What’s wrong?” Hermione asked when she saw my face.

I shook my head “it’s nothing, don’t worry about it. Thanks for your present.”

“Thanks for yours” she replied, still confused. I’d given her a book about knitting seeing as she was hell bent of freeing those damn elves, they may as well know that what they’re about to pick up is supposed to be a hat.

We headed down to breakfast with Harry, Ron and Fred. I was kitted in my new pyjamas. What? It’s Christmas! I knew that there would be a mini Christmas feast later but I still helped myself to a plate load of sausages and fried eggs. Ok, I was trying to drown my sorrows away with the delectable cooking the Hogwarts house elves provided us…so what…and I was well on my way to ravishing my third plate by the time Collin, my dad’s own, landed on the table before me.

Frowning, I pulled the note from the owl’s leg and opened it. ‘Please meet me in my office when you are done pigging out. Dad’

Sighing, I pushed my plate away from me and stood up. “Where are you going?” Fred asked.

“Dad wants to see me.”

“I thought we were going to sneak-” he shut up talking when he realised that everyone was looking at us.