Part 6

Ireland win against Bulgaria, 170 points to 160. It was a close game. Bulgaria was only on 10 points when Krum caught the snitch and ended the game. “Why did he catch the snitch?” Ron grumbled as we made our way back down “he caught the snitch but lost the game!”

“Maybe he didn’t want Lynch to catch the snitch so that Ireland win 320 points to 10” Harry said.

“Bulgaria should have won” Ron continued, ignoring Harry “Krum is the best seeker there is!”

“I think you have a crush, Ron” I told him with a grin.

“Shut up” he snapped.

Even if we wanted to sleep it would have been impossible. The people supporting Ireland were celebrating loudly so when we got back to the tents we all sat outside in the warmth of the summer night talking about the match until Hermione changed the subject. “Poor Winky, how could Crouch just leave her there and not even turn up?”

Wait, had I missed something? “Winky?” I asked plain and simple.

“Yes, Mr Crouch’s house elf; she was saving him a seat and he didn’t even turn up. The poor thing is terrified of heights and he left her up there all on her own!”

“We were talking to her” Harry explained, rolling his eyes in exasperation at Hermione “I thought she was Dobby at first.”

“How did I miss this?” I frowned.

“You were complaining to Fred about Draco” Ron said “we decided it was better to leave you to it; you can punch hard.”

I smirked “good choice but you still should have told me.”

Harry shrugged “well better late than never.”

“It’s disgusting!” Hermione continued as though there had been no interruption. “She’s a living being, not a slave!”

“Hermione” Mr Weasley said quietly “house elves are bred specifically to serve a master; it isn’t in their nature to defy their instructions. They live and breathe for their masters; it would kill her if she defied her master.”

I thought about the times when Dobby had to punish himself. Would he really kill himself? “But is she paid?” Hermione snapped “does she get holidays?”

“That’s not-” Mr Weasley started but Hermione butted in.

“WELL IT SHOULD BE!” She shouted.

I stared at her; it honestly looked like she was buzzing with electricity and the ferocity and anger behind her words and eyes stopped anyone from arguing with her. “Well, how about some hot chocolate?” Bill, Ron’s older brother said.

It was getting late but no one went to bed until Ginny fell asleep at the table and knocked over her mug of hot chocolate.