Rejection has its limits

I was sitting in the middle of Christy and Cliff in Biology 101 the other pack members were sitting in front and behind us. We all made sure that for the first semester we all had the same classes. I pulled out my notebook laughing at a joke Brian, who was sitting in front of me, was telling Cliff. I glanced up when the classroom door open and a couple of more freshmen walked in followed by mate and his friend. I groaned inwardly cursing the Fates and my horrible luck. I locked eyes with my mate and damn if I didn't see anger within them. Hell what was he mad at, it's not like I purposely signed up for the same class as him. His pack situated themselves behind us in the back of the class. That is when I became aware of my surroundings, Cliff had his arm on the back of my chair and Brian was twisted in his seat fidgeting with my notebook. I knew after our encounter at the party when my mate warned me about his wolf that this definitely didn't help anything. Even though the human side of my mate didn't want me, the wolf inside did. Of course with him being an alpha, I knew the need was even stronger. I knocked Cliff's arm off my chair and told Brian to turn around and pay attention.

"Welcome freshmen to Biology 101, my name is Mr. Sampson. First I would like to remind you that you are now officially adults and I will not be treating you as kids. So there will be no roll call. You are to put your student ID number on anything you turn into me via email or in hard copy. We will be in this room the first week and afterwards only Monday, Wednesdays, and Thursdays. We will be in the lab which is room 115 across the hall on Tuesdays and Fridays. I will not accept late work. You turn in your work and you grades will be posted on my blog via your student number. Now let's get started."

I half listened to Mr. Sampson as he lectured over the first two chapters and assigned chapters three through five for homework. I peered over to see that Christy was actually taking notes and I would get them from her later. I felt the tension coming from my mate the whole time. I felt like I was being scrutinized making me nervously tap my foot. A couple of times Cliff would jab me with his elbow sending me a questioning look for me to stop. At the end of the class I didn't move I wanted my mate and his pack to leave first because I wanted to avoid any confrontation. I was slowly gathering my things when they walked passed us and I kept my head down until they vacated the room. I didn't realize that I was holding my breath until Christy touch my arm shocking me back to life. I was on edge and I wasn't sure how long I would be able to keep this up. We all walked over to the parking lot and I scanned the area making sure the coast was clear. There was no sign of my mate or his pack. I felt myself returning to normal letting my guard down.

"So we're headed back to the apartment, you in Melissa?" Cliff asked.

"Of course."

"Great then you can ride with me. We will see you all over there." Cliff opened the door to his two seater and I waved at everyone as they climb into their cars.

"Umm Cliff this is the wrong way." Cliff didn't respond and continue to drive until we turned off the main road onto a dirt road into the woods and stopped at a clearing. A huge lake was nestled in the middle of the woods and it was sparkling from the reflection of the sun rays. I jumped out the car and ran over to the edge of the lake.

"It's just like home."

"I know, I found it the other day, knowing you would appreciate seeing it. So are you going to tell me what's going on with you?" Cliff plopped down on the grass.

"I don't know what you mean?"

"Come off it, Melissa. I've known you all of your life. I will be the beta of our pack in a few years alongside your older brother. He already gave me an alpha command to make sure nothing happens to you."

"Cliff you can report back to my overly protective brother that I'm ok. Nothing is up."

"You have been acting weird since the party when you disappeared and today in class....." Cliff jumped grabbing my shoulders shaking me. "Have you found your mate?!"