Chapter 2

"Emily? I thought you were helping to board up your house with your parents because, well you know." She said casting an uneasy glance at the dark forest surrounding the town and stretching as far as the eye can see. Emily followed Kiara's gaze and gave her a sympathetic look.

"Yea.. They told me to get some fresh air because I'll be inside for a while.. What about you is your house ready yet?" Emily asked with the sound of worrying in her voice for her friend.
Kiara smiled and said "We've been ready since yesterday, although sometimes I wish.. That we could all just leave this place and not live in fear of this forest and what lays beyond it." She said looking off into the distance as she reached the willow tree and sat down stretching her long legs in front of her and positioning her drawing book beginning to draw.

"I know what you mean," Emily said "I've been wishing to get away from this place ever since.." She stopped talking as she sat down next to Kiara while thinking of a dreadful thought. Last year her brother Tim had been taken and she couldn't do anything about it. Kiara put a hand on her friend's shoulder.

"I know you miss him, but you did everything you could and if there was something I could do to get him back, I would." Kiara said with a smile and Emily smiled back looking better now.

For the next few hours until late afternoon the two girls sat and talked about drawing and clothes and other things as Kiara drew the meadow and the forest beyond it trying to imagine what else there might be besides her own little town.

"We'll we better be heading home, don't want to worry our parents." She said standing up and offered Kiara a hand to help her up.

Kiara took her hand and stood up putting her drawing supplies back into her bag and they walked back home.
"Bye Kiara, cya later and be careful." Emily said with a smile but she still sounded worried.

Kiara waved good-bye and walked home finally beginning to worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow is the first solar eclipse of the year.