Soul: Black Blood (Chapter 2)

//

3 Weeks Earlier...

"I still don't know" Martha told me, chewing her bottom lip nervously and blinking her baby blue eyes at me "It doesn't seem...Right I guess"

Okay, Martha was my best friend and I loved her, but sometimes she failed to see the 'Brilliant' in 'Brilliant Idea'.

"Look, whatever Mouse doesn't know can't hurt him right?" I insisted. Mouse is my boyfriend. His real name is Max, but he's too soft for a buff sounding name like that so everyone calls him Mouse. He's come to accept it, and now even the teachers refer to him as 'The Mouse Boy'.

"Maybe" Martha replied "But what if he finds out? What then?"

"He won't" I reassured her

"Fine, but mark my words Sam, this will end badly, I can see it!" Martha declared profoundly, and I scoffed.

"Thanks for your wise words of wisdom, Psychic Sally" I shot back sarcastically, rolling my eyes for full effect. Ah, sarcasm. The bodies natural defence against stupidity.

Martha pulled one last face at me,showing me that she still wasn't happy with me and my ingenious idea, then we linked arms and began to walk to class.

Then it happened.

He appeared.

Shocked, I took in a sharp breath, followed by a poke in the back from Martha, meaning 'Get over it'. Unaffected, he walked past, sending a million-dollar film star smile my way. Nervously, and feeling like a babbling idiot in his presence, I smiled back.

Eye contact.

Good.

So good, in fact-

"OW!" Suddenly, Martha jerked me forwards, raising an eyebrow at me. I shrugged, I couldn't help the way I felt. Well, I could.

But I didn't want to.

Shaking her head at me, Martha continued to drag me to class. When we got there, we met up with Flick (Mouse's best friend, and who also has a nickname. His name's...Um....Fred I think....) and his girlfriend of forever, Megan. We were sort of on friend level, but we were more like acquaintances.

"Where's Mouse?" I inquired, curious to my boyfriend's whereabouts.

"Badminton" Megan informed me, suddenly shocked to find three pairs of eyes on her. How come she knows where my boyfriend is, and I don't?

It appears Flick has the same suspicions I do.

"How would you know?" Flick asked, raising his eyebrows and crossing his arms. Wow, he only does that if he's really annoyed, but doesn't want to let people know about it.

Martha and I exchanged glances.

I crossed my fingers behind my back hoping that maybe this would get me out of being with-

"He told us, loads of times, all the time, nonstop, it's all he talks about" Megan babbled,

"No he doesn't!" Flick replied through gritted teeth, trying to stay calm, but I could see him clenching his fist into a rock hard punch.

"Sure he does" Megan insisted

"No he doesn't!"

"Yes he does!"

"No!"

"Yes!

"No!"

"Yes!"