[13] Truth Inside the Lie

"Fiction is the truth inside the lie." 
~ Stephen King

June 9, 2043
4:50 P.M

            Louis was a little more than terrified.

            Okay, maybe that was an understatement. He was starting to get paranoid, truly mistrustful – not that he didn’t have a right to be – and even just plain unreasonable.

            The thing with not knowing anything was driving him up the walls. Not knowing how he got stuck in this mess in the first place, not knowing what was wrong with Niall, not knowing whether Zayn was going to stay okay after this… the list was never-ending.

            He didn’t really see the irrational side at that time though, because he was convinced he was just going crazy.

            Yes, Louis Tomlinson was feeling pretty damn insane.

            He supposed for a while that it was something he should be used to, too. Really, this life has had its moment – at least that he remembered – but most of it had been one big nightmare since waking up.

            And he dealt. For nearly three months he’d been “dealing”, talking to Phil day after day before slowly closing up, realizing that he was going to be of no help to him whatsoever.

            Then he tried to open up, once he found Zayn. And of course, you all know how that went. Badly. Hospital badly.

            Louis was beginning to realize that a person could only cope and pretend for so long. There were so many questions picking at his brain and just hurting him, but there was one that was probably the worst of all that he had to confront.

            So that was the day he snapped.

            The third and final time that he would end up asking his mother what happened was also the first time he realized he might have been better off not knowing at all.

            Louis’ mother was the only other person home at the time. She had gotten an early shift and was therefore able to return home early, while his father was still at work and his sisters were off doing their various activities beyond the house.

            As savage and wrong as it sounded, it was the perfect opportunity for him to corner her, to get her to actually talk to him and not run away like all the other times or come up with a bad excuse.

            No, he was going to get his answers and he was going to get them then and there.

            “Mum,” he said quietly, moving to stand in the doorframe connecting the kitchen to the dining room. Sure, there was another exit and entrance, but all he had to do for the moment was stand firm and show he wasn’t going to let her get away, not again.

            “What’s up Lou?” His mother simply said, smiling at him in a fond way that made his heart twist in knots.

            Louis was beginning to think of everyone as a stranger, ever since Niall. He was telling himself that about his mother then as well, trying to convince himself that she was not the woman that gave birth to him and raised him, despite the facts that had been laid down from the start.

            “I need you to tell me,” he took a shaky breath and closed his eyes for a moment. He hated how broken his voice sounded, how weak.