[10] Undeniable Truths

“When did the future switch from being a promise to being a threat?”

~Chuck Palahniuk 

May 30, 2043

3:15 P.M 

            Louis had dealt with late nights before.

        He’d dealt with them for concerts, for studying back when he was school, for staying out at parties, and for staying up to take care of his sisters when his parents were out.

            Never before though, had he had such a late night as the one before. A late night born of pure apprehension and anxiety, close to completely sleepless.

            It didn’t help that he insisted upon spending it in the hospital either, because despite what one may be told, hospitals aren’t exactly good for the soul. They’re more draining really, taxing.

         Though despite that, Louis tried to spend the time with Zayn as much as he was allowed, though in their differing states, neither of them were great company.

            The others didn’t entirely understand it from Louis’ perspective, especially Niall, considering he was Zayn’s best mate in the world, always had been, while Louis just popped up out of the blue.

          Louis believed that his parents and family thought he was possibly reconnecting with someone again, that he knew Zayn before and some sort of subliminal emotions were resurfacing that even he didn’t understand.

            Though it was probably completely untrue, it kept them all from insisting that he come home right away, which Louis felt guilty for, but he could live with it.

           Louis just couldn’t handle the thought of Zayn passing in his sleep or something, not with Louis an hour’s drive away and unaware. Knowing him from the world of his head, he felt a much deeper connection to the injured boy than he had in reality, and he accepted that. It didn’t mean he had to listen to it though.

              “You’re still here,” a voice said, speaking with a tone beckoning more of a statement than a question.

               Louis turned in his chair by Zayn’s bedside, looking towards the door to see Harry standing there, visibly beat, though not nearly as much so as himself.

              “Of course I am,” he simply grumbled, turning away from his curly haired friend to face Zayn’s bedside again. “Zayn needs someone here.”

                Louis didn’t turn again, but he heard Harry’s slow, languid steps pad softly closer to the foot of the bed. A little part of him remarked that at least that was something that seemed to be the same with Harry, he said and did everything like he had all the time in the world.

                 “Did you sleep?”

                “Yeah,” Louis simply said, watching Zayn’s relaxed face in his own slumber. In truth, he was kind of understating, a bit. He slept, just not very much, though when he glanced up at Harry again, he could tell that he knew.

                 “You should go home,” the younger suggested, sighing as he shoved his hands deep in his trouser pockets. “Get some rest.”

              Louis closed his eyes for a moment, knowing that he was right. He couldn’t though, leave Zayn’s side. Not when he was like this. Not when he needed him and didn’t have anyone else.