[11] Doubting Confidence

“I thought about how there are two types of secrets: the kind you want to keep in, and the kind you don't dare to let out.”  

~ Ally Carter 

May 31, 2043

8:40 A.M

            Louis seemed to have a lot of confidence about bad things.

            For one, he was pretty confident that Zayn was still in danger, maybe even the others too, maybe even him. After what the scientists basically screamed at him, he couldn’t get the fact out of his head. He’d nearly gotten Zayn killed, and he wasn’t about to put any of the others in the same danger.

            He didn’t even know how they had known he’d told Zayn, but he did know that he now had no other option but to keep his mouth shut.

Louis was also pretty confident that Visionary was a load of shit that shouldn’t even be tested anymore, but still was, obviously. Plus, the scientists were all mad, apparently.

            Oh yeah, and he was also too confident that there was a secret having to do with how he became a test subject in the first place, one that his own family was hiding from him.

            As Louis lay staring up at his crème-colored ceiling, all these thoughts kept running through his head. Why was it that he was confident of all these bad things, but so unsure about all the good ones?

            He still didn’t know what to think about the boys. Sure, they all seemed to be at least mutual friends now, but with this disaster with Zayn, would any of them bail?

            If they did, it’s not like Louis could blame them. He asked a lot of them- Harry and Liam, mostly- just calling them the other day to get them at the hospital.

            It was admittedly a lot to deal with, especially for someone they had just barely met.

            That reminded Louis, he really wished he could continue to stay in the hospital. It just made him feel better about everything, even minimally.

            He knew that Niall likely had to work, not getting off very easily while working at such a prestigious restaurant. Liam may have had to work, Louis didn’t know because he didn’t have to himself, that day. So that really left Harry, being out of school with nothing better to do, though that didn’t mean he was actually there.

            Louis still wanted to have the same faith in his friends that he did in One Direction, but that was never really real, they were different people. So how could he?

            “Louis, love, are you awake?”

            He heard his mother calling softly to him from downstairs, her kind voice wanting to soothe him, though with the nagging suspicion in the back of his mind about his family in general, he wouldn’t let it.

            He kind of thought that since it was Friday and a day off for him, she’d let him sleep. Apparently, he was mistaken.

            After a moment of debating whether or not he should answer, Louis finally decided he may as well, literally having nothing better to do than stew in his horrid thoughts.

            “Yeah, I’m awake,” he called, licking his dry lips as he realized that she may already be gone by the time he actually answered.