[20] "I Must Be Dead."

"There is always danger for those who are afraid."
~ George Bernard Shaw

June 14, 2043
1:45 P.M

         “Niall!” Louis screamed as he and Harry pounded furiously on the thick metal doors. “Niall, please! Stop!” 

        Harry was echoing his shouts and attempting to also cause a racket, but Louis already somehow knew it was in vain. Niall was being easily distracted by the scientist prepping him to go under Visionary, and even knowing that he’d looked up once wasn’t enough to lift Louis’ spirits again.

          “Hey!” 

         Louis heard the security team coming down the hallway behind them, and squeezing his eyes shut in defeat, Louis turned to face them. If he couldn’t find a way out, he’d have to stare at this danger in the face.

          “Wait, what are you doing?” Harry asked, still banging his fists on the metal. 

       “We can’t fight this,” Louis answered quietly. “There’s no where else to run. I don’t know what to do…”

           Louis could see Harry’s face morph into something close to disbelief. “You’re giving up now?” He hissed, morphing once again into something close to anger. “After everything you’ve been through, really?”

          And really, Louis almost wanted to cry at how suddenly the tables had turned. Just out of the blue, it wasn’t just him fighting the world anymore and trying to get Harry on board. Now, it was Harry still pushing on and desperately trying to not let Louis fall off. He was inspired, yet Louis could find nothing in himself to keep trying. There was no way he could ever escape (or even fix) this nightmare. 

         Before Louis could even retort, security was upon them, roughly yanking both their arms behind their backs and leading them away. Harry made one more futile attempt to called Niall’s name, and the desperation rang in Louis’ ears all throughout the hallways and into the large, conference room they were led into.

           “Get the boss,” one of the guards could be heard mumbling to the other. Soon after, one ran off as the other two stood in front of the exit, carefully watching them as if they were wild animals ready to bolt. 

           “This isn’t the end, Louis,” Harry said slowly, and Louis desperately tried for the hundredth time to will himself awake again. “It’s not.” There was no way this was the unfortunately reality he’d forgotten, no way. 

            “Pipe down,” one of the guards barked. 

           Interestingly enough, Louis found that there wasn’t much need for conversation anyway. The only thing they really could’ve talked about was whether Zayn and Liam had escaped or not, and that was answered quickly as three more guards burst into the room, gripping Zayn and Liam tightly by the arms. 

          “Two more troublemakers,” one spat with a thick accent, unceremoniously releasing them into two more of the uncomfortable conference chairs. “Found ‘em snooping around in Rutherford’s office.

         None of them said anything, but with a few exchanged glances, it was clear to see that they weren’t escaping this. They’d all been caught and Niall was God-knows-where. All they could do was wait for whatever fate was to come. 

         Eventually, a tall, thin man with jet-black hair walked in. He was dressed rather crisply, in a suit and tie that seemed to make his long figure even more intimidating. “Well,” he said in a low voice as he came to the head of the table, observing them all with beady eyes. “Louis Tomlinson, I’ve been wondering when I’d meet you.”