Flicker: Quinze

December gave way to the bitter frost of January and Gillans welcomed the new year with toasts and fine dining. Every morning Nora woke up to frosty windows and looked out onto the grass looked like it had been painted silvery white. Not soon after she had returned to Gillans, her training with Tifa resumed along with her tutoring sessions. Although her routine was back to normal it was clear that things were so much changed.

Nora gulped down the contents of the water bottle quickly. She was aching for water after the match she just had with Tifa. Despite the change in weather, Tifa insisted they continue training outdoors to strengthen their endurance. Thankfully due to their wolfen genes, they ran a bit hotter than normal. She wiped the water that dribbled out of her mouth with her arm and gave Tifa a large smile.

"Well done, Nora. Well done." Tifa complimented as she too took a breather. "Your performances are getting much more improved. Looks like I'll be out of a job soon"

"No, I don't think my talents will ever amount to yours."

"Hm. If you say so. I think there is something in the water because you are just making so much progress. I think next week I might bring my swords along. Or we could try archery. What do you think?"

Nora jumped for joy.

"That would be awesome. Just call me Nora Hood," she said as she posed as heroically as possible.

"I think Nora will be just fine but thanks for the suggestion."

"Are we done for today? I'm pooped."

Tifa looked at the quickly darkening skies. Daylight savings time had robbed them of valuable daylight and there was no need to continue training in darkness. She was about to respond but noticed that Nora was walking past her. She turned to see Quinton standing in the doorway, and Nora briskly making her way towards him.

"Quinton!" Nora said happily as she reached him, holding the hands that he held out for her.

"My dear."

He expressed his warmth towards her with a large smile and even a larger hug.

"How was your session?"

"Good! I nearly beat Tifa's hiney."

"Untrue!" They heard Tifa shout from the distance as she gathered the materials that they had used.

"Come on a walk with me."

"Where to..."

"It's a surprise."

"But it is nearly dark. It will soon be time for dinner."

"We will be back in time, promise. Where I have in mind isn't that far."

Quinton looked skeptical.

"Come on don't be such a wuss, wuss." She teased.

"I am not a wuss." He disagreed vehemently.

"Prove it. Let me wash up and then come on with me."

"Oh go on, Mr. Reeves." Tifa encouraged as she dragged her parcels behind her and into the house.

"Fine. But I do not want us to miss dinner this evening."

"You'll be back in no time I promise. Give me a moment and I'll be down before you know it. Oh, and I recommend a change of clothes."

Nora scurried off and into the house, leaving Quinton standing where he was - dubious about this plan that Nora was plotting.

O.o.O.o.O.o.O.o.O.o.O.o.O

The sky was all kinds of blues, pinks, and purples - as if a young child had smeared palms of paint across the Heavens. The walked along the dirt path that led to Gillans, underneath a ceiling of interwoven branches that used to be a canopy of leaves. Now the sky just peeped through the spaces between. Quinton had heeded her recommendation and changed into a simple button down and khakis. Aside from when they slept together, this was the least formal attire Nora had ever seen him in.