Flicker: Cinq

One Week Later...

Nora sat at her vanity, towel drying her hair.

She worked slow and steadily.

It wasn't a task that required much attention, but today, Nora made sure to make a show out if it. How long had it been since she had washed her hair? It felt like it had been ages. This morning, she woke up at the crack of dawn and sat up in bed. She looked out the window, watching the world get up - even the sun ready to greet the day. She felt inspired to do the same. So, after some time had passed, she walked to the bathroom and commenced the long and painful process of detangling her matted hair. Halfway through, she realized that it was too much of a difficulty. Without much thought, she grabbed scissors and chopped her hair. It rested an inch or two past her shoulders but it was manageable. She washed, conditioned, rinsed, and combed.

Stepping out of the shower, she felt clean, refreshed, and rejuvenated. It had been so long since she felt those feelings.

So, Nora enjoyed the minutes that passed as she made sure her hair was thoroughly dried.

Once she was satisfied with that she decided to perfect herself, moisturizing and primping. So engrossed in her task, Nora didn't notice Mary knocking on the door or entering the room. It was the sound of glassware falling to the ground and shattering that drew her attention.

"Mary! Goodness!" Nora cried as she got up and rushed over to Mary's aid.

"I-I am so sorry, miss," Mary said, her voice shaking. She bent over and picked up the fallen food and glass shards that were covering the carpet. "I will have someone in here immediately to clean this properly."

"Don't worry about it, Mary. That's what slippers are for. What happened?" Nora asked. It wasn't like Mary to lose her grip.

"I was just so surprised to see you...um...out of bed."

"Oh. Yes. " Nora said, giving a sheepish grin and a shoulder shrug.

"It should not happen and it will not happen again."

"It is alright, Mary."

"I will be right back with another breakfast tray."

"No need for you to run up and down the stairs. I will go down with you and have my meal."

Nora could have sworn that Mary's heart skipped a beat.

"You will?" Mary squeaked.

"Is that a problem?"

"No. No. No. Of course not. Just another surprise. Well, go on and get dressed then."

Nora gave a small smile before clothing herself in a simple outfit.

"Your hair..."

Mary's voice trailed off.

"Oh. Yes. I cut it. Do you like?" Nora asked timidly, running her hands over the uneven edges,

"I'm sure with a little tweaking, it would be very fitting on you. Perhaps we can get a - "

"It's fine for now."

Mary sighed.

"Yes, it is. Mind if I do a little something?"

Nora nodded and Mary had Nora sit at the vanity once more. Mary worked her magic - tucking, smoothing. After adding a couple of hairpieces, Mary was done.

"There you go. How's that."

Mary turned her head side to side, admiring the simple style. The hair fell over her gaunt cheeks, her dark brown hair contrasted dramatically against her pale skin.